Problem with drop-down lists of venues and organisers for a marketplace

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Problem with drop-down lists of venues and organisers for a marketplace

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Huiwen
    Participant

hi,

My website is a marketplace for events. I just noticed that whenever a new event organiser registers his/her venue and the organiser info, they are added in the drop-down lists of venues and organisers. It is great that this info is saved and the event organiser does not have to enter a second time; but it also means that the other event organisers would see it and have to bear with increasingly longer drop-down lists of venues and organisers, as the community grows. Is it possible for the system to memorise only the venue and the organiser info from the event organiser him/herself only?

• This topic was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Huiwen.
    Cliff

Hi, Huiwen.

Thanks for your detailed question.

I believe Community Events already works as you’re describing.

Please test these scenarios on your own site but I believe it works this way:

• If an Administrator adds an Organizer or Venue (O/V), everyone will be able to see and select it.
    • If a non-Administrator adds an O/V, only they will be able to see it.

To test these, you could use a plugin like User Role Editor (we cannot guarantee its compatibility but it generally considered a reliable plugin) to switch between your site’s users to see what they see.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions on this topic.

Huiwen
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for trying to help.

Ok I’ve installed the plugin. The question for me is how can I disable the vendors to see others’ O/V? Which capabilities shall I look into specifically?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Huiwen.
    Cliff

I believe Community Events already works as you’re wanting.

I’d suggest a plugin like User Switching (third-party, not guaranteed or supported by us) to test out the scenarios you’re concerned about.

For example, logged in as yourself (an Administrator, I assume), create an Organizer, then switch to an Author user (or whatever level user) and see if that Organizer is available in the drop-down (I believe it should be). Then create a new Organizer as Author X and then switch to another Author Y user and see if they can see the Organizer created by Author X (I believe the will not be able to)… etc…

Then let me know if something’s not working how you’d like it to.

Huiwen
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

I’m confused. So instead of the User Role Editor plugin that you recommended earlier, I should use User Switching plugin instead?

As for your suggested scenarios, I’ve already tested without any plugin. I have created a, say, User A (non-admin) to list an event, and then log out, and log in again with a User B (non-admin). User B can still see User A’s O/V in the dropdown menu – the only difference is that it shows in “available venue / organiser” rather than “my venue / organiser”. Below is a screenshot FYI.

I dont understand what would be the difference by installing those plugins you suggested since these two users are already registered as non-admin.

Please advice, thanks.

huiwen

Cliff

My apologies for the confusion. I swear this is the way it used to work (but I didn’t go back looking through past code to verify). Anyway, another person and I both tested and it doesn’t function this way anymore.

I dug through the code and found Tribe__Events__Linked_Posts__Chooser_Meta_Box from /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar-community-events/src/views/community/modules/organizer.php is what renders the O/V edit areas in the Community Events form.

Tribe__Events__Linked_Posts__Chooser_Meta_Box is from /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/Tribe/Linked_Posts/Chooser_Meta_Box.php

Organizers and Venues (O/V) are “linked posts” to Events, if that helps you understand the naming…

It uses saved_linked_post_dropdown() from /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/Tribe/Linked_Posts.php, which is where the magic happens for what you’re wanting — you can see its code here: https://github.com/moderntribe/the-events-calendar/blob/4.3.5/src/Tribe/Linked_Posts.php#L731-L878

It uses edit_others_posts capability, but the code didn’t lend itself to a quick and dirty customization to change how this works. But we created a new extension for you. I tested it and it seems to work as expected:

https://theeventscalendar.com/content/uploads/2016/12/tribe-ext-hide-linked-posts.zip

Please try it out and let me know how it works for you.

Huiwen
    Participant

Ok many thanks Cliff. I need to wait for my web developer to come back from the holidays in order to test your code. Thanks for providing the extension and I will let you know the outcome.

Cliff

Sure thing. Please do let us know how it goes.

Please note that threads get Closed automatically after a couple weeks of inactivity. If it does get Closed, please open a new thread, adding your current problem description and also linking back to this thread.

Thank you!

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Problem with drop-down lists of venues and organisers for a marketplace’ is closed to new replies.