Prioritise events starting on the day

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Prioritise events starting on the day

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    eastlife
    Participant

Hi there!

Is there a way to sort events so that events that start on a particularly day show in the list ahead of recurring events which may have started weeks or even months ago?

So for example say it is October 1, 2015 today.
    I have three events which started on September 15 and one event which started on October 1.
    At the moment the three events which began on September 15 appear before the event which started on October 1.

I suppose I could turn the long running events into recurring events, but I’m trying to avoid that option as it conflicts with the way I am importing events (I’m importing several xml feeds and need to update events as well as adding new ones so if an events details changes that is reflected. If I convert the events to recurring events that may mess with these imports.)

Thanks!

George
    Participant

Hey @eastlife,

The ability to more easily change/customize the ordering of events in various views is something we’re working hard on, but at this time there is unfortunately no easy way to do this. It would require some extensive code customization, and not even the recommended kind where you can make all the code tweaks outside of the plugin itself in your theme or something; it would take customizing internal plugin code directly, which is a bad idea and means that a plugin update would wipe your customizations out completely unless you back them up and then manually replace them one-by-one in the new code after update.

Alternatively, you might be able to write some clever JavaScript that checks for events in each day on a page and shuffles things around based on data attributes and the calendar date; but this, too, is some extensive custom development and I can’t think of an efficient/performant way of doing this.

I’m sorry about this disappointing news @eastlife – let me know what you think about it all, and/or if I can help with anything else!

β€” George

Cynthia Lockley
    Participant

This may help you. See the modifications you can add to your child-theme’s functions.php file on https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/customize-rss-feed/ under the heading “Order Event by Publication Date”.

George
    Participant

Thanks for sharing that @Cynthia!

@eastlife
    , do you have any thoughts on the things posted here? No worries if not and/or if you’re just busy and haven’t been able to respond yet; just wanted to keep the thread alive and post an update πŸ™‚

β€” George

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Prioritise events starting on the day’ is closed to new replies.