plugin conflict with jetpack social sharing

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events plugin conflict with jetpack social sharing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    designagency
    Participant

hi–
    been having a really nice time working with the community events add-on and the calendar in general. over the past few days i ran into a spot of trouble with my google export button, it was returning a “invalid request” error.

after searching the forums, i followed the instructions to switch my theme, turn off all plugins, and one by one turn them back on, testing each time to see if the functionality was restored. well, sure enough, it worked. the culprit is the social sharing feature of jetpack.

curious to know what to do about this? i would really like to have both the social sharing buttons *and* the google export button but i have no idea how to resolve this (im a designer, not a programmer).

any advice is appreciated!
    emily

Brian
    Keymaster

Hello,

I can help you out with this conflict with Jetpack.

Thanks for testing for a conflict and narrowing it down.

This is happening just on the Single Event View, right?

I did a test on my own site and was able to get the error when clicking on the export to google button.

It looks like the sharing feature is adding to the export link’s query string which is causing the problem.

I looked for a way to prevent Jetpack from doing that, but I could not find anything.

That is where I would try to find a solution, then using a filter we maybe able to help you add something to the link to stop Jetpack sharing from adding to it.

I will look around some more to see if I can find anything and let you know.

Thanks

designagency
    Participant

great, thanks for helping me sort through this. im really not sure how i would go about making the two of them play nice.

emily

Brian
    Keymaster

Emily,

I did some more research and was unable to find a solution. I was going to post on JetPack’s WordPress.org page, but they have a message they are not going to be doing support until after the 24th.

I am making a note to follow up next week, but for now it looks like they are not compatible.

Thanks

designagency
    Participant

hi brian, thanks for looking into it.

i *thought* i found a work around but no dice! the folks at studiopress just released a social share plugin a few weeks ago that i expected would work out perfectly. the thing is, is that it does work perfectly everywhere *except* my single event pages. even though i’ve clicked the button to include them after the content on my tribe event pages, they are not appearing.

i know ya’ll dont really support those of us working with genesis, but i wonder if there are any other plugins you could recommend to get those social sharing buttons on the events pages?

if interested, you can see the genesis simple share buttons in action here, and sadly not in action, here.

thanks again,
    emily

Brian
    Keymaster

Hello,

I also use Genesis so I played around with it for a bit and got this code to work, by placing it in my functions.php of my child theme.

http://pastebin.com/VydyE6Qn

This places it above the content, but if you look at the single-events.php you can find another hook to replace the one I used:

tribe_events_single_event_before_the_content

Let me know if that works out for you.

Thanks

designagency
    Participant

hay brian, this is brilliant! thanks so much for your help. it took me a bit to find and figure out the hooks, but i got it just where i want it. now, the only thing i cant figure out at this point has to do with some of the css. i styled the buttons already (borrowing heavily from the studiopress modifications) however, those styles require some adjusting for my single events. for the most part, i’ve got it, the last one i can’t figure out is the hover. nothing im popping in there is changing the background color behind the count.

is there a specific selector for the event calendar that i should be using?

again, thanks for all your help,
    emily

Brian
    Keymaster

Something like this might work:

.type-tribe_events .share-filled .twitter .count {

}

That should work for twitter. If you had hover on the end it should change the color.

That selector I used is for the individual event post.

Does that work?

designagency
    Participant

brian, this worked like i charm. thank you so much for your help with this issue, it’s very much appreciated!

best,
    emily

Brian
    Keymaster

Great, glad it helps, I am going to go ahead and close this ticket, but if you need any other on something else please post a new ticket.

By the way, if you have a minute or two, we would love it if you’d write a few words for us here: http://wordpress.org/support/view/plugin-reviews/the-events-calendar?filter=5

Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘plugin conflict with jetpack social sharing’ is closed to new replies.