Pins not showing up on map

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Pins not showing up on map

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    loveyourlocalmarket
    Participant

I’ve moved from Heart to TSOhost and now the pins aren’t showing on the map and aren’t listed underneath the map either. The events that were imported when we transferred over showed up but new ones don’t.
    I’ve read this thread here
    https://tri.be/support/forums/topic/a-couple-of-issues-with-map-view-and-search-functions/
    Which shows that there might be some issues with cloud hosting although the heart hosting was cloud and so is TSO.
    I’ve created a new install of wordpress and installed Events Calendar Pro but it still doesn’t work.
    I’ve tested the theory that the Google API somehow isn’t working by installing WPGoogle Maps plugin which works perfectly.
    Can you help please?

Brook
    Participant

Howdy loveyourlocalmarket,

Thanks for all the info and thorough testing.

Unfortunately I think it is your host. I appreciate that you tested the WP Maps plugin, but that is a entirely different sort of request. Basically, that is the javascript in your browser requesting data from Google. provided your personal browser is working, the request goes through. Our plugin, along with numerous others, uses the WP HTTP API. Instead of the browser requesting data from Google, in this case WordPress itself is requesting the data. If the server is misconfigured or otherwise prevents WordPress from making the request, then no map data can be saved.

This looks 100% like a problem that WP has with your host. If you are interested, here is the relevant code. All our plugin does is call wp_remote_get() when a an event venue is saved. So it owuld make sense that events saved while on a different host have data, while events saveed on the new one do not. You will need to contact your host in this case, and ask them if they are able to get the server to work with the WP HTTP API. If not, you will likely want to switch to a more WordPress friendly host. However, from what I am seeing TSOHost advertises WP support. Furthermore, our plugin is one of 100s that uses that API (for instance, a quick look through my plugin folder found other big name plugins like WooCommerce using the HTTP API significantly more than all Tribe ones combined). So, I think they will work with you on this point.

Does that all make sense? Hopefully that helps you figure it out with the host. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. There is not a lot we can do with hosting problems, but I will be as helpful as I can. Thanks!

– Brook

sian
    Participant

Hello,
    I have a very similar problem to this (also the same host). This is the response I received:
    “This should already be enabled on the server, you may need to make a few tweaks to the WordPress core; http://codex.wordpress.org/HTTP_API”
    To be honest I have no idea what to do with this information, and surprised of the advice to tweak the WordPress core! Do you have any idea what I need to do in order to fix this issue (other than move hosts which will be quite an upheaval).

sian
    Participant

A further response from TSOhost:

“I can’t think of anything on our system that would prevent you from accessing the Google map data from your hosting with us. Are you getting a specific error message at all?”

I have WP debug on but that’s not showing any errors. How can I check for any other errors? Server error log?

As an additional detail – some of my markers are showing and some aren’t. While searching for a postcode or a town I absolutely know is attached to an event comes up with nothing.

I can supply URLs / logins if you need them.

Very confused!

Sian

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Sian,

The advice to tweak the WP Core is indeed terrible advice. It is a huge red flag in fact. I would run from TSO to a better host, as they clearly do not fully support WP.

The second person, or “further response”, might not even know enough to understand what’s going on here. Or, they did not look into it fully. But indeed how your server is configured affects the WP HTTP API. If your server is not configured to be compatible, this happens.

If I were you I would find a new host. You probably have grounds for a refund, as they advertise WordPress compatibility. To be clear I can not help you obtain this refund in any way, but if I were in your shoes I am saying that I would try to obtain it.

I am going to close this topic since it has been a month without a response from loveyourlocalmarket. If you need further assistance Sian please open a topic detailing your problem. We try and open a new topic for each issue as this tends to speed up our response times and ensure that your specific issue is getting addressed, instead of trying to group things together and possibly missing something unique about your own problem. Thanks!

– Brook

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Pins not showing up on map’ is closed to new replies.