PayPal and Free Events

Home Forums Ticket Products Event Tickets Plus PayPal and Free Events

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Rathbun
    Participant

I’m having an issue with users who are confused or reluctant to create a PayPal account for our free programs. Is there way a to trigger PayPal accounts only for EDD tickets with fees and a simpler process for free programs?

George
    Participant

Hey Matthew,

Sorry about your users’ frustrations here.

For your free events, you should be able to simply add 0 for the ticket price – this will alter the checkout process for these tickets, so that users who add them to their cart for checkout are not brought to PayPal (or any other payment processor). Have you tried doing this? If so, what were your results?

Thanks,
    George

Matthew Rathbun
    Participant

Yep. I have “0” as the price per ticket. When the user clicks not the registration button it takes them to PayPal, where they have to create an account or login to an existing one.

George
    Participant

Hey Matthew,

Is this checkout issue live and visible on http://elitescoop.com/ If so, can you link to the specific page where I can try “purchasing” a $0 event ticket and seeing the process?

I’m curious because, on my local installation that I use for testing and such, if I set the ticket price to “0” and then test buying that from the front-end, I’m not redirected to PayPal.

Also, I noticed in your account information that you have purchased the Eventbrite tickets extension as well – are you using that in conjunction with your $0 EDD tickets by any chance? If so, do things behave any differently if you disable Eventbrite tickets temporarily?

Thank you for patience with this, I’m confident we’ll figure out what’s going on here soon.
    George

Matthew Rathbun
    Participant

Hi George,
    I just realized that the ticket at the bottom works great, but if it’s the button I inserted (right under the header graphic on this page) it takes us to the PayPal page for payment. http://elitescoop.com/event/real-planning-real-business-real-easy/

This is the short code that is entered: [purchase_link id=”5421″ style=”button” color=”blue” text=”Click Here To Register” direct=”true”]

Thanks for your help!

George
    Participant

Hey Matthew,

You’ve got the following attribute in the shortcode you shared here: direct=”true”

I went to the Easy Digital Downloads documentation, and it reads that setting the direct attribute to “true” like you’ve done will redirect users to PayPal.

Here’s that documentation online → https://easydigitaldownloads.com/docs/display-purchase-buttons-purchase_link/
    I’d recommend setting direct equal to “false” and seeing if that helps here.

Cheers,

George

Matthew Rathbun
    Participant

Sorry, I did change the setting to false and it still goes to the PayPal webpage. Perhaps I just need to not use the button and stick with the tickets at the bottom.

George
    Participant

Hey Matthew,

Sorry to hear my suggestion didn’t help! If you do what you suggested in your own reply here, and just use the tickets at the bottom instead of the button, are you able to keep users from going to PayPal?

— George

Matthew Rathbun
    Participant

I think I found what the problem is. Tickets created before the last update are flaky. The tickets I am creating now are functioning as expected. I just recreated the old tickets and replaced them and things seem to be working fine.

Thank you for all of your help.

George
    Participant

Hey Matthew,

I’m glad that updating seems to have resolved your issues! Thanks for letting us know that helped. I’ll go ahead and close up this ticket for now, but if other issues pop up don’t hesitate to come back and open a new ticket with any other questions or concerns.

Cheers!
    George

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘PayPal and Free Events’ is closed to new replies.