Only the first instance of a 3x a week event displays in Week View

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Only the first instance of a 3x a week event displays in Week View

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ben
    Participant

Hello, we are new purchasers of The Events Calendar Pro, and are generally pleased with our experience in moving up to the paid version of the plugin.

We are having an issue though with a recurring event that takes place three times a week. On initial display of the Week View, when cycling ahead to future events using the “Next Week >>” link, only the first instance of the event displays.

Refreshing the page causes the other two instances to also appear.

This event is a key background event that shows when a community space is open, so it is important we resolve this. Thanks!

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for Purchasing Pro! I can help figure this out with you.

So only the first instance of a recurring event is showing in Week View, correct?

What is your setting here:

Events > Settings > General Tab > “Recurring event instances” Is that checked? If so does unchecking and saving that cause the all the events to show?

Let me know and we can go from here.

Thanks

Ben
    Participant

Hi Brian, and thanks for the help.

Yes, unchecking “Recurring event instances” and saving causes all the events to show. I still consider this to be a problem, and a bug, for the following reasons:

1) I don’t feel the average user would reasonably expect Week View to be a “list-style view.”

2) The recurring-events-in-the-same-week display in Week View is correct in the first displayed week. It becomes wrong in navigating to past and future weeks. It changes back to the correct result in all weeks on refreshing the page.

3) It’s necessary to us to “Show only the first instance of each recurring event” in list view, and we can’t do that if we have to turn the feature off to make Week View work.

If there is a workaround, I’d be grateful. (The only one I can think of: create three separate recurring events for the three weekly instances. Hoping there’s something better.)

Thanks,

Ben

Ben
    Participant

A side note, of lower priority.

We would like to disable the display of this same event in Month View, where it unnecessarily clutters up the calendar. (The event amounts to the regular times a community space is open: noon-4, Tuesday through Thursday. It’s useful to see it in Day and Week view. It’s not in Month View.)

Is there a way to do this? If not, please consider it a feature request.

Thanks.

Brian
    Keymaster

Sorry about the issue on Week View. I am looking into those still, but want to update you on your other request.

Month View
    It is possible to do as you ask to hide certain events with a bit of customization. You could assign them a category and then modify the month view query and remove those events that way.

We have this guide to excluding categories:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/hide-category-from-calendar-views/

Also, if you think that is something you would like as a feature I encourage you to visit our User Voice Page and either upvote an existing request or make a new request there.

http://tribe.uservoice.com/

Cheers

Ben
    Participant

Hi Brian. Thanks for the link on excluding selected categories from display by modifying our child theme’s functions.php file.

I tried it, and unfortunately it removes the category from all views (including Day and Week) rather than just the Month and List views.

It’s the kind of solution we’d be happy with in general. We’re not coders but we can find our way around this level of theme modification.

Looking forward to more on the other questions,

Ben

Brian
    Keymaster

Hello,

I looked into the week view and it does appear to be a bug as you correctly point out it is not a list style view.

Directly loading the Week View or Month View correctly shows the Events. It is the ajax that causes the issue.

We have a bug ticket in the system to address this and I have added this thread to it so we can update it once we have a release.

I do not have a temporary solution for this as the week view script cannot be disabled as it would not show the events otherwise.

So the only temporary solution would be to create three different events for each day of the week, then they would show.

Month View Categories
    Ok for that snippet if you replace this:

// Include all posts on admin views
    if ( is_admin() ) return $wp_query;

with this:

// Include all posts on admin views
    if ( is_admin() ) return $wp_query;

if( !tribe_is_month() ) return $wp_query;

That should target the snippet to the month view only.

However, please note there is a bug when using AJAX that does not take into account the categories so they will all show. We are working on a fix for this as well. In the mean time you can add this snippet to disable AJAX in Month View:

https://gist.github.com/jesseeproductions/e787d5dd5c0e943f172f

Cheers

Leah

Hi there,

We wanted to check in here and update you on our progress. Although we weren’t able to address your issue in our upcoming release (3.11) we do still have it on our radar. Thank you for your patience while we continue working on a fix for the problem you reported. We will do our best to keep you posted when we have a solution in place. In the meantime, if you need help or find that the issue you reported here is no longer a problem, please feel free to start another thread.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding!

Cheers,
    Leah
    and the rest of The Events Calendar team

Geoff

Hey there! Just wanted to deliver the good news that The Events Calendar and The Events Calendar PRO 3.11.1 shipped today and a fix for this issue was included in the release. Please feel free to update and thanks so much for your patience here while we figured this one out. We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention so we could fix it. 🙂

Cheers,
    Geoff

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Only the first instance of a 3x a week event displays in Week View’ is closed to new replies.