Only single organizer imported for Facebook events with multiple hosts

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Only single organizer imported for Facebook events with multiple hosts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Cyrus
    Participant

Encountering multiple issues with Facebook events in Events Aggregator. Wondering if there is an issue with my expectations or with the product.

Issue 1:
    I’m importing numerous events for which there are multiple hosts associated with the target facebook events. Example event links provided below. The problem I’m encountering is that each event is only being associated with a single organizer and additional organizers are not being created/associated when multiple hosts are present.

Steps to Reproduce:

• browse to wp-admin, log in as an events administrator
    • Click Events -> Import to access Events Aggregator
    • Choose Import Origin -> Facebook
    • Choose Import Type option (either)
    • Specify a facebook page or group that contains events with multiple hosts. (ie https://www.facebook.com/ofa.az/)
    • Click Preview
    • Select the Events to import (or if scheduled import, continue through the process of scheduling the import.

Expected Results:

• Events for which multiple “hosts” exist within the imported Facebook events should have multiple associated “organizers” within The Events Calendar imported events.

Sample events with multiple hosts:

Actual Results:

– Only a single organizer is associated with the imported event.

Issue 2:
    Imported Facebook events with different Facebook hosts have wrong Organizer in The Events Calendar.
    Steps to Reproduce

• browse to wp-admin, log in as an events administrator
    • Click Events -> Import to access Events Aggregator
    • Choose Import Origin -> Facebook
    • Choose Import Type option (either)
    • Specify a facebook page or group that contains events with a Host that does not match the group/page
    • Click Preview
    • Select the Events to import (or if scheduled import, continue through the process of scheduling the import.

Expected Results
    If an imported Facebook event has a Host that differs from the import source, a new Organizer should be created within The Events Calendar.

Actual Results
    Events are created with an Organizer that does not reflect the Facebook Host of the imported event.

Example:

Hi Mullaney,

Thanks so much for reaching out!

Issue 1:
    I’m importing numerous events for which there are multiple hosts associated with the target facebook events. Example event links provided below. The problem I’m encountering is that each event is only being associated with a single organizer and additional organizers are not being created/associated when multiple hosts are present.

I imported the Facebook URL that you provided and two organizers were created.  It sounds like this is different than the results you saw, correct?

Issue 2:
    Imported Facebook events with different Facebook hosts have wrong Organizer in The Events Calendar.

When I imported that event individually (https://www.facebook.com/events/819090344936666), the organizer was added and the event was properly added to the calendar.  That event page in Facebook is associated with two organizers, as I mentioned above, which is why those are getting imported and used by default.  However, if you import individual events, you will see the organizers added properly to events.

I hope this helps to provide some clarity, let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

Jaime

Cyrus
    Participant

Thanks for the Response Jaime. I’m still not satisfied that my issue has been resolved / explained. The problem in my environment is that a number of events are not having the correct organizer associated with them, instead they are showing the Organizer that represents the Facebook Page from which they were imported, which has nothing to do with who organized the event.

The problem is that OFA-AZ is NOT an organizer of this event within Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/events/819090344936666 Please take another look at the Facebook event details, particularly the “host” field within the Facebook event. The host is ONLY Tucson Medical Center, not OFA-AZ. I cannot have the Organizer field associated with OFA-AZ, especially when Tucson Medical Center isn’t event listed as the organizer. I’ve included a screenshot of what I’m seeing on my test system.

Hi Mullaney,

When I import the event that you linked to, this is what I see in my Edit Event screen:

As you can see, I am seeing only Tucson Medical Center as the Organizer, which is how it should appear, correct?

Let’s start by updating all of your Event Calendar related plugins and re-testing if the organizer is imported incorrectly.

Also, can you share you import settings with me, which can be found under Events Settings < Imports?

Let me know how it goes!

Thanks,

Jaime

Cyrus
    Participant

Jamie,

If you imported the event directly then you are not following the reproduction steps that I outlined in my original email. Create a scheduled or one-time import of this facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ofa.az The resulting events within Events Calendar do not have the correct organizers.

I’m on a test environment running on a local virtual machine. The plugin update functionality doesn’t work because of my server configuration and I don’t have the requisite host configuration knowledge to figure it out. I have the Event Aggregator plugin disabled on my production site and have been unable to use it since purchasing because we cannot get the POC to work.

Import Settings:
    Default Status: Published
    Default Event Cat: No default category
    Show Google Map: Yes
    Import Limit Type: By Date Range
    Import Date Range Limit: One month

Everything else is set to use global import settings.

Here is another example of a scheduled import with screwed up organizers:
    Import Type: One Time Import
    Import Source: facebook.com/azresist
    I chose the first five events in the preview. 2/5 of these events have the wrong organizer imported for them.

Cyrus
    Participant

I resolved my environmental issue and successfully upgraded to the latest version of Events Calendar and Events Calendar Pro. The issue still persists using the aforementioned reproduction steps. I have disabled any potentially conflicting plugins within my test environment as well to no avail. The only plugins I have enabled are Events Calendar, Events Calendar Pro and Event Filter Bar, all updated to the latest versions.

The issue of the incorrect organizer being associated with imported Facebook events prevents us from utilizing the Event Aggregator plugin.

Cyrus
    Participant

In an effort to be as exhaustive as possible I have also downloaded and activated the Twenty Fourteen theme. This also did not resolve the issue. In an import of 25 events from facebook.com/azresist only 8 have the correct organizer associated with them.

Hi Mullaney,

I have run through the tests as per your instructions, and I do see that if you import a batch of events, that the organizers are not correct.  This has to do with the way that Facebook has things set up, since it considers the Organizer of the page to be the Organizer in most cases, as you can see.

You have the option to import events individually, which will assign the proper Organizer to the event.  Alternatively, you can import all events as a batch, and then manually go through your events and edit the Organizer field.

I know that this is not the easiest way to do things, and I apologize for the inconvenience.  Please let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions in the meantime!

Thanks,

Jaime

Cyrus
    Participant

Jaime this will not work. Our calendar aggregates from over 1000 Facebook event sources. Blaming this on Facebook is not an adequate explanation either. We are currently using Import Facebook Events plugin by Xylus and their import plugin does not have this problem with organizers. (it has others, which is why we want to use the native Tribe extensions).

This is a bug with Event Aggregator that will prevent us from utilizing the extension. This bug will cause weeks of lost development time on our part. We have spent time implementing customization utilizing hooks provided by your plugin’s APIs. I can’t imagine that your team won’t see the necessity for an expedient fix for this issue. We literally import hundreds of events daily, we cannot do any manual categorization or modification of imported events, we don’t have the manpower!

Hi Mullaney,

I just wanted to let you know that I am speaking to my colleagues about this issue and will hopefully have some more information to give you soon.  Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Hi Mullaney,

I have done some further investigation into your issue and we have determined that this is a bug with our system.  I have logged a bug report and work will begin on fixing this issue as soon as possible.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this glitch and we are actively working on a solution for this.  I cannot guarantee when it will be fixed, as it’s in the development team’s hands now.  They need to assign it, code it, test it, and schedule it for release.  The good news is that you will be contacted as soon as a fix is available.

Thank you for your patience as we see this through.  Please let me know if any questions come up in the meantime.

Thanks,

Jaime

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Mullaney!

Just wanted to share with you that we have shipped a fix for this issue. It’s all on our Event Aggregator server side of things so you don’t need to update any plugins.

As always, please make sure you are using the latest versions of our plugins. Remember you can always download our plugins from your downloads page > https://theeventscalendar.com/my-account/downloads/

We apologize for the inconvenience and we appreciate your patience while we worked on this.

Please try your imports again and let us know if the fix works for your site.

Best,
    Victor

Cyrus
    Participant

@Victor – Unfortunately this issue is not resolved. Previously events imported from a Page had their “Organizer” field set to the Facebook Event Host. Now, after the fix these events are imported with – BLANK – Organizer content.

I am seeing MANY “–Blank–” organizer values in our imported events queue now.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

EXPECTED RESULTS:
    All imported events should reflect the the Facebook Event Host(s) as their Organizer. Review the imported event for https://www.facebook.com/events/209298732977765/?event_time_id=237707306803574.
    NOTE that there are two hosts.

ACTUAL RESULTS:
    The referenced event is displayed in the pending event queue with -BLANK- organizer. There is no organizer associated with the event.

ADDITIONAL INFO
    I am seeing tons of events with no organizer information being imported now that we have applied this update. The problem may be related to recurring events.

I’m sorry to hear that the update did not resolve this issue for you.  I tried importing the the URL that you provided and a new organizer was created on my end.  Can you take some screenshots of what you are seeing, including where you are seeing the event being imported without an organizer?

Let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime!

Thanks,

Jaime

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Only single organizer imported for Facebook events with multiple hosts’ is closed to new replies.