on list view, can I add code to make a "read more" link below each excerpt?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO on list view, can I add code to make a "read more" link below each excerpt?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Lynn
    Participant

on list view, can I add code to list.php to make a “read more” link below each excerpt? Seems it would be something parallel to the title code above there, but just with words such as “read more” and php that links to that event’s details. (the clients have no idea that the event’s title is a link to a page of detailed text and photos — it’s not intuitive to occasional internet-users!). Thanks!

Rob

Hey Lynn. Have you tried just using the “Read More” link within the visual editor? Or am I confused as to the request here? Let me know and I’ll adjust my response accordingly.

Lynn
    Participant

Thanks Rob,
    I’m using the manual excerpt, because I want a one-paragraph summary of the whole 8-paragraph event. There doesn’t seem to be a “read more” to show up for a manual excerpt.
    Thanks,

Rob

Ah, gotcha. OK – let me see if Jonah can you point you in the right direction here. Stay tuned!

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Lynn, sure you can add a read more link to the list view. Just open up /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/views/list.php, copy the contents and create a duplicate file in an ‘events’ folder in your theme. And then add you read more link below the excerpt. Does that help?

Lynn
    Participant

Yes, and no. I already had that file out, blinking at the code that links the header, and added the comments where my “more” edit will be — but since I’m a photographer and graphic designer, I just copy & modify my php, and don’t really know how to write the code from scratch. I was hoping you would write exactly line of php I would place under the “the_excerpt” code to link to the whole description. And once you do, I’ll think, geez, so simple I should have figured it out… thank you!

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Lynn, this should do it for you: https://gist.github.com/31a7cff9675d27093f96

Lynn
    Participant

Yessir, the code on that page worked! Thank ya much.

Rob

Excellent to hear that did the trick, Lynn! Please let us know if you need anything else here.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘on list view, can I add code to make a "read more" link below each excerpt?’ is closed to new replies.