On Category List / Month Views, Clicking 'Next Month' Doesn't Work

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO On Category List / Month Views, Clicking 'Next Month' Doesn't Work

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Thomas
    Participant

On the main event page of our site, everything works fine. We also link and display a specific Category of events on our site. On the Category page (defaulted to List view), when we scroll to the end of the page and click the “Next Events” link, it pauses a bit and then displays the next month of ALL events, not just the specific Category. If I refresh the page it then shows the correct ‘page 2’ of the specif Category.

If I switch to month/calendar view on the same Category page and lick the Next Month link, it just takes me back to the top of the current month’s page. Nothing switches and refreshing doesn’t work.

I have looked at similar threads here, but unable to find a solution:

I have disable all other plugins and found the same results, so no conflicts there.
    I switched to default theme, which removed some of theme functions, and did get similar links to work properly, though I still can’t seem to isolate the exact cause.

Thanks in advance for any help in the matter.

Thomas
    Participant

This reply is private.

George
    Participant

Hey Thomas,

Sorry you’re having trouble with this on your site – you’re indeed correct about some similar issues arising recently. Unfortunately there could still be several different causes of problems like this, so there are a few things worth investigating a bit more closely here.

First in that lineup of things is what you wrote here:

I switched to default theme, which removed some of theme functions, and did get similar links to work properly, though I still can’t seem to isolate the exact cause.

1. Can you clarify to what exact extent your issues were resolved by doing this? What specific things on your site were improved when you write “did get similar links to work properly” – did the specific Prev and Next Events links on events category pages work in a default theme?

2. What are your site’s permalinks settings?

3. Go to Settings > Permalinks in your admin area, and just click “Save Changes” without actually making any changes. This may seem like an odd thing to do but is a little “trick” within WordPress to get the permalinks across your site to refresh, which might be helpful here – if anything, it might show that nothing changes by doing this, which would indicate that the issue is not related to permalinks or .htaccess or anything like that and is instead something else.

Thank you!
    George

Thomas
    Participant

Thanks for taking a look.

1) Sorry for the confusion there. It sounded better when I first wrote that, but see how I left out the necessities.

On the category page /events/category/senior-events-and-activities/ there are a few template modifications that are not in the default theme.

The mods are:

<!-- Tribe Bar -->
    <?php tribe_get_template_part( 'modules/bar' ); ?>

<!-- Main Events Content -->
    	<?php if (is_tax('tribe_events_cat', 'senior-events-and-activities')) : ?>
    <p>Las Vegas is a great place for seniors as there are many activities throughout our communities. We frequently add activities and events for seniors to this page, so please check back often for new additions. Most of the Las Vegas senior activities listed here are free or charge only a small fee to participate.</p> 
      <ul><li> <a href="http://www.vegas4locals.com/events/">Click Here</a> for Las Vegas Events and Community Activities for All Ages.</li>
        <li> <a href="http://www.vegas4locals.com/events/submission/">Click Here</a> if you have a Las Vegas event you would like to add to our list.</li></ul>
    <?php elseif (is_category('Category B')) : ?>
    <p>This is the text to describe category B</p>
    <?php else : ?>
    <p></p>
    <?php endif; ?>

<?php tribe_get_template_part( 'list/content' ); ?>

(The Category B part is just for a mental marker in case we want to expand unique content to another page later on.)

Also in my theme’s funtions.php file there are a few mods that are not in the default theme’s function file. I included my functions.php file in the private response.

When I switched the theme to the default theme, I navigated to a Category Page, the same mentioned above that no longer has the custom text intro fields and the “Next Month” link worked fine.

I even deleted and replaced the template files in my theme’s folder just in case any other pieces changed on the last plugin update, but that didn’t seem to fix it either.

2) Permalinks are set as /%postname%/

3) I had tried that previously and again just now, but no luck there.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Thomas. Reason: left out 2 and 3 responses
    George
    Participant

Hey Thomas,

Thanks for your feedback here, and for your patience over the weekend 🙂

It unfortunately does sound like there is a conflict here, coming from one of two places: either your customizations, or just your theme itself.

I’m interested in what you said here:

I even deleted and replaced the template files in my theme’s folder just in case any other pieces changed on the last plugin update, but that didn’t seem to fix it either.

I think we should try something similar to this for testing purposes. Basically, get all your custom template files and your custom tribe-events folder in your theme, and make a good backup of these – one that you can definitely restore the files from.

Once these are all backed up, delete them from your site. Just wholly remove the tribe-events folder in your theme…

Then, check out your site and see how things go.

If nothing is improved, then leave your theme as-is but head to its functions.php file.

Make yet another backup of this file, the version of it with all of your tribe-related custom functions. Back up this file, and then once it’s backed up, remove all tribe-related code from it.

Then check out your site again and see how things go.

If problems still persist in this state, then it is your theme itself that is the problem and not your customizations.

If things work fine after doing these steps, however, then we can at least narrow the problem down to either your functions.php tweaks or your custom template files.

Thank you for your patience with this issue so far! Let me know how the above steps go, and just to mention it one more time, make a backup of all custom templates and your customized functions.php file before doing any of these steps! 🙂 That way you can play around with removing things and testing individual chunks of code on your site without worrying about losing any custom code that you’ve written so far.

Thanks Thomas!

— George

Thomas
    Participant

I have tested further by removing the folder with all template files that I added to my theme (/tribe-events) and removing the customized theme functions.

Issue remained.

It is weird that the issue only happens on “Category” pages. It works fine on the main “Events” page. And if you hover over the “next month” (in list view) or “October” (in Month view) the link/url that you can see/preview is the right link, but clicking on it doesn’t fire that links. And if you hover over the link, right click and open in new tab, it works.

So, based on what we have so far, it is a Theme issue? Can we determine what might be the type of conflict it is? I really like to try and figure out how things work even if I don’t always understand the exact code. And wouldn’t the theme cause issues on all events and not just the categories? (Just thinking out loud here)

As always, I thank you for your time and any more advice or thoughts on the matter.

George
    Participant

Hey Thomas,

Thank you so much for your patience here, and for your diligence testing for customization issues.

Unfortunately, yes, if your customizations don’t seem to be impacting the problem at all, but simply activating a default theme does fix your links as noted earlier, then it seems that yes, your other theme is conflicting here in some way.

I unfortunately do not know exactly what is causing the problem theme – sorry to disappoint on that front!

Your best bet is to contact the theme developer or post in their support forums directly, they may have global query manipulation stuff in their theme code that is causing this or something similar and hopefully they can help you with fixing those problems.

Let me know what you think and if there is anything else I can help with!

— George

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘On Category List / Month Views, Clicking 'Next Month' Doesn't Work’ is closed to new replies.