OG image / description entries ignored

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO OG image / description entries ignored

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant

I’ve seen similar posts about this .. but pretty much they’ve gone ignored .. so to rekindle the fire ..

My organization promotes our members events on our calendar. And we like to promote individual events on Facebook. We use All-in-one SEO to declare the OG image and OG description for each event (as we do all other posts / pages on our website) .. but it seems Events Calendar ignores these settings.

Using https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/og/object/ to scrape the page info, Events Calendar publishes every image on the page .. including header/footer icons .. in to the FB OG image stream.

In addition, the OG description is ignored and a very oddly truncated versions of the text appears in the description.

As a result, we really can’t promote these individual events .. outside of posting the image separately, and just including the event URL in FB .. which greatly diminishes effectiveness. Not to mention, other members haven’t figured out the workaround (even after you tell ’em) .. so .. frankly .. it’s a big mess.

Yes, I’ve tried disabling All-In-One to see if that’s the issue .. hoping the event’s feature image gets picked up .. but alas that’s not the case .. and not a viable solution anyway.

Note: it used to work fine .. then about 12-18 months ago .. it all went south. Also note .. this is not a new feature request, but a plea to correct a bug that was apparently introduced some time ago.

Any help?

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello Tom, welcome back.

Thanks for getting in touch. I understand your frustration about this issue and not having a resolution. Let me try to help you with this one.

I checked the page you scraped, the code of the page and the Facebook inspector results. I also did some investigation on my test site with AIO SEO and Yoast.

Here are my findings:

1. Part of your results state that the ‘og:image’ property should be provided. (screenshot) This  suggests that those results were extracted from the code of the page itself, because that data was not defined in the OG way.

2. Checking the code of your page – and my test event page – with and without AIO SEO confirms that there is no OG markup on the page. It is not generated by our plugin, not by AIO.

3. I switched to Yoast on my test site just to check. Immediately a whole bunch of OG tags appeared in the code (screenshot). When a featured image for the event is set then the og:image also is set.

4. I ran that through the Facebook OG tester and confirms this. There was only one – the featured – image visible in the og:image row.

I hope these finding will help you move forward.

Let me know if you have any further questions. I’d be happy to help.

Cheers,
    Andras

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘OG image / description entries ignored’ is closed to new replies.