Oddity with EB Import / Formatting Question

Home Forums Ticket Products Eventbrite Tickets Oddity with EB Import / Formatting Question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    peterquale
    Participant

Hello,
    I have two things to comment on here:
    #1 — Reporting a weird import situation (which is resolved, but we’re hoping it doesn’t happen again)
    #2 — Reporting formatting issues when importing

#1 ————————————————–
    The content person has been having trouble importing an event from EB. She said she’d been getting an error (something like “Error importing event”). So I tried it and, instead, I got an error that the event had already been imported.

I found the event in question and viewed it in the edit view. There is a message at the top of the page that says “You did not create any tickets for your event. You will not be able to publish this event on Eventbrite unless you first add a ticket at Eventbrite.com.”

There already are tickets set up at EB, so I’m not sure if this is reading the settings incorrectly… or if it has something to do with how it is set up here. It is *published* already here. What I ended up doing was deleting this event in WP and reimporting it. This time the ticketing info came through. Why do you think this happened? Is there a way we can avoid this in the future?
    #2 ————————————————–
    I have noticed that when events are imported, the text that comes through carries with it additional formatting. I realize what challenges this might face for you… But I’m wondering how to avoid it for the content manager. Just selecting the text and using the eraser icon wasn’t enough; I had to look at the source code and delete divs. I have requested that they make sure they aren’t pasting in from Word when they add content to EB… as maybe that could complicate the issue, too. But I’m wondering if you have any other suggestions to help make life easier for the content person (who won’t know HTML)?

#3 ——————————————————
    Okay, I have one other thing to mention: I’m actually the developer and I have several clients who I’ve recommended to use Modern Tribe products. Because of the on-going subscription costs, I usually have them sign up for it so that their billing info is in the account. But this then makes it difficult for me to get support. I need to then get the login info from them (which is fine), but then the system doesn’t want me to have more than one instance of my email address… so if I try to change the profile email address to mine, it says that address already exists. I get around this by using a fake email address with my domain (I have a catch-all address so I get anything that goes to @mydomain.com). But I figured this might be worth just bringing to you. It’s not a deal breaker or anything, just kind of annoying. I wish there was a better way to say have them add tech support or other users on their account. (WP Engine has something like this.)

Thanks!

Barry

Hi – sorry you’ve been experiencing these issues. Let me try to address each point in turn.

#1 … This time the ticketing info came through. Why do you think this happened? Is there a way we can avoid this in the future?

I’m not sure I can replicate or fully understand what you’re describing (and so am unsure if possibly this is expected behaviour or if it might represent a bug). Would it be possible to distill this down into a set of steps that would allow us to reliably replicate the issue?

#2 But Iโ€™m wondering if you have any other suggestions to help make life easier for the content person (who wonโ€™t know HTML)?

Hmm, tricky. The problem of course is that formatting you/your team find undesirable might be desirable to other users. We’d be open to your own suggestions here (you can post them on our UserVoice page) but ultimately we need to do what works best for the community as a whole. Are there elements you can identify as being particularly undesirable and others that you would seek to keep? If so, definitely do add them to your feature request – we’re always interested in ways to improve our products ๐Ÿ™‚

#3 … Iโ€™m actually the developer and I have several clients who Iโ€™ve recommended to use Modern Tribe products. Because of the on-going subscription costs, I usually have them sign up for it so that their billing info is in the account. But this then makes it difficult for me to get support.

I definitely understand where you’re coming from here and I’ll raise this with the team. We do however have a developer license that can be useful in this sort of scenario, though I appreciate that might not quite accommodate exactly what you want here.

Thanks again for all the feedback and questions – one last thing I’d note is it is usually best to break separate topics up into separate threads: it helps to avoid confusion in long running threads and also makes it easier for us to help all our customers in a timely fashion.

… and let me know if there is anything else you can add re point 1 ๐Ÿ™‚

peterquale
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

I’ll let Reid know!

I’m glad the initial issue is resolved – or appears not to have reared its head again, at least – but definitely let us know if you need further help on that one at some future point.

I do see your point about formatting – that was a great example – but I’d still maintain there may often be cases where someone has applied deliberate styling and may not want it to be stripped. That said – we’re totally open to feature requests and would welcome one like this (I’m sure at the least we could ensure there is an appropriate filter to let people do this even if it isn’t something that happens by default) ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks again for all the feedback. I’ll go ahead and close the thread at this point, but if we can help with anything else please don’t hesitate to create new threads as needed.

Cheers!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Oddity with EB Import / Formatting Question’ is closed to new replies.