Next/Previous Month Links Do Not Work With Category

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Next/Previous Month Links Do Not Work With Category

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Toni
    Participant

My client really needs to be able to filter the calendar by category, so I created some links above the calendar and it works just fine (http://new.thepumphouse.org/events). However, it does not work once you click on the previous/next month links.

For example, if you go to the Filter links above calendar and click on “Classes”, it will appropriately show only those events in the Classes category. However, if then you click on the August 2013 link, it will show all categories. While you are in the August 2013 month, if you click on the Classes link in the top, it will only show events in the Classes category for the current month – July 2013 – and not the month the user was previously viewing (August 2013).

Is there any way I could fix this? I understand that you are working on a Filter plugin which would be perfect, but until then my client needs a way for users to easily browse calendar categories between different months (in month view, not list view), not just the current month.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Toni
    Participant

Just a bump to see if anyone has any ideas on how I can fix this…

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Jonah,

Maybe you’re working on this and just got it fixed, because it’s working correctly for me now. Clicking on the next/prev link within an event category month is properly taking me to the next month. Can you please confirm?

Thanks,
    Jonah

Andy Fragen

Jonah, Just for fun you could try The Events Calendar Category Colors and in particular see how Legend Superpowers works.

Toni
    Participant

Hi Jonah,

Unfortunately I still don’t have it fixed, and it’s curious that it works okay on your end. If I am in the calendar for this month and click on the Classes link in the filter, it correctly shows only the Classes category and the title says Events for July 2013 > Classes. However, if I click on August, it will not show only the Classes category, instead showing a different category (Exhibits), and the title only says Events for August 2013. The strange thing is, if I reload the page, it displays correctly, with the title showing Events for August 2013 > Classes and only the correct event displaying. Are you able to duplicate this, and, if so, any suggestions on a fix?

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the recommendation for the Category Colors plugin. This actually works quite nicely, and if I can’t fix the above I could use this as a temporary solution until the official Filter plugin is released. The only thing is, for those days with more than five events, it could be difficult for a user to see that there are events on that day for the selected category because only “View All” is highlighted.

Thanks to you both for your help!

Jonah
    Participant

Hey Jonah,

Yeah I’m not seeing that behavior when I view your site. The specific categories load the prev/next months and stay within the same category. What browser are you using? Have you tried clearing your cache?

– Jonah

Toni
    Participant

Hi again Jonah,

That’s really strange that you cannot see the issue. If you load the calendar, click on August 2013, and then select Performances from the filter, are you seeing Performances for August 2013? Because it takes me back to July 2013. I’ve seen this behavior on Safari, Firefox, Chrome, and IE and in OS X and Windows. My client also sees it as well. Unfortunately it seems as though I cannot fix it, so I will use the less desirable option of showing everything in lists, as that works okay.

Thanks for your time!

Jonah

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Jonah,

Yes, I do see that but that would be the default behavior unless you coded the category links to pick up the current month from the query vars and append the current month to the category links so that clicking them keeps you on that month and not back to the current month today. Make sense? If you install Debug Bar + Debug Bar Extended, you’ll be able to load the page and then see all the query vars like I’m taking about which will give you access to the current month and allow you to change the date somehow. But that’s getting into more customization than we can really help you with. Hopefully that points you in the right directions though.

Cheers,
    – Jonah

Marc
    Participant

I have, what I believe, is a similar problem. In 2.x I had added category buttons above the gridview. This worked fine in 2.x. Now in 3.x I can only see the current month by category. If I move to the next month or previous month, it shows all categories again.

Here’s the grid: http://atxclassical.org/events/
    Here’s the category view: http://atxclassical.org/events/category/ballet/month/
    Here’s the category view that doesn’t work: http://atxclassical.org/events/category/ballet/2013-04/

Jonah
    Participant

Hi guys,

Ok, I’m seeing the problem now. There must be something going on with the prev/next links when you move to a future month. I’m going to create a ticket for this and hopefully we’ll get it fixed soon.

– Jonah

ISANS
    Participant

I am curious about this as well, as the same thing is happening in my calendar. I can see select a specific category for the current month, but when i go to the next or previous month, it shows all categories.

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Kristy/Marc,

We now have this slated to be fixed in the next release. Please be patient while we work it out. Sorry for the inconvenience.

– Jonah

ISANS
    Participant

Thanks Jonah!

Rob

Thank you Kristy!

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Next/Previous Month Links Do Not Work With Category’ is closed to new replies.