New Web, what happens to my events

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO New Web, what happens to my events

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ana
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m getting my web redisgned and I’ll be using The Events Calendar plugin, my concirn is that I don’t want to loose all the events that are all ready published. So, is there a way to import the info to my new website’s calendar? How? Should I do it before migrating it?

Hope you can help me as this is a huge problem for me, many hours have been invested on this calendar!!

Thanks and regards

Ana

Geoff B.

Good evening Ana and welcome to the Events Calendar Support forum!

Thank you for reaching out to us.
    I would love to help you with this topic.

I’m getting my web redisgned. I don’t want to loose all the events that are all ready published.

If you are getting your website redesigned, typically, that means changing the WordPress theme files. If I understand correctly what you are doing, it should not impact your existing the Events Calendar events.

With that in mind, it is always wise to do a backup of everything (plugins, themes, uploads and database before changing the design – that way you can always rollback to that version).

Just to be on the safe side, could you answer the following questions:

1. Are you changing domain names ? (something different than your current web URL)
    2. Is the person redesigning using your current WordPress install and creating a new theme + pages on top of it OR are they “wiping everything and starting from scratch” ?

The best practice is to start from your current WordPress install. If that is not the case, the developper will need to import the events to his “new site” (dev version) prior to erasing your current install.

Best regards,

Geoff B.

Ana
    Participant

Good morning Geoff,

thanks for your answer.

Right! My website is being designed on the developers hosting, therefore
    they are using a different domain, but when we migrate it to my hosting it
    will be with my domain.

Have I answered your questions?

Geoff B.

Good evening Ana,

Thank you for writing back.
    That totally does answer my question.

The best way to handle this is:

1. Install your the Events Calendar + the Events Calendar Pro plugins on the website the developer is hosting and building for you
    2. Add your Event Aggregator license on there
    3. Still on the new site, go to Events > Import
    4. Select “Import from other URL” and input your current site

This will literally migrate all of your events to the developper’s site.
    You can read about this here: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/import-from-feed-or-url/

At some point down the line, close to the migration you will need to:

1. Freeze your current site (stop adding events)
    2. Make sure all the events are on the site the developer is hosting
    3. Stop the import on the developer site

At that point, you will simply be able to overwrite your current site AND have all of your events in there.

But, as always, before overwriting anything, make a complete file and database backup.

Have a good weekend,

Geoff B.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘New Web, what happens to my events’ is closed to new replies.