New venue selection is a backward step

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO New venue selection is a backward step

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bruce
    Participant

I have 30 – 40 venues to update events every week.

The new format requires that I start with exactly the correct text which means that I have to know the full name and the word that it starts with. Difficult when they are often abbreviated by the local community – or Event Manager tells you that it does not exist – then you have to do a manual search of the whole list.

The old way allowed me to identify with experience the shortest unique text string that would pull up the correct selection. e.g. Tap pulled up The Tap Room, Irish pulled up Batley Irish Democratic League Club. And even if it is not the shortest unique string as long as you entered something contained in the name it would present the possible choices.

New method definitely worse.

Regards
    Bruce

Nico

Hi there Bruce,

Thanks for reaching out to give us your feedback! Let me see if there’s a workaround this to make things easier for you!

The explanation you give is pretty clear, but I’m not sure where this is happening. Are you referring to the community events form venues dropdown? Or are you referring to a specific place in the back-end?

Please let me know about it and I’ll explore the code to see if it’s possible to tweak this,
    Best,
    Nico

Bruce
    Participant

Nico,
    I was referring to the venue selection during Add an Event.
    I have 103 venues created in my local area and post relevant events every week. Some venues occur frequently and some are little used.
    I think I’ve already given some of the best examples. There’s nothing wrong with the selection – it just seems to operate in a different way.

https://www.screencast.com/t/GwPGRFj2O

Nico

Thanks for following up Bruce!

Totally get you know and diving into the plugin source I could find the culprit for this behaviour. We are defining a custom ‘matcher’ function that works this way (to accommodate for other needs). Give me some time to explore if it’s possible to change the dropdown setup after the page loads via snippet. Other wise if you would like to customize this you’ll need create a modified version of the JavaScript file configuring all dropdowns and comment the line setting the custom matcher.

Please let me explore this for a bit and I’ll be back to you,
    Best,
    Nico

Bruce
    Participant

Nico
    Glad to help.

But I’m no coder so won’t be modifying anything!

Regards
    Bruce

Nico

Thanks for the info Bruce! I’ll try to see if an easier solution is possible.

Will try to follow-up on this soon 🙂

Cheers,
    Nico

Nico

Hey Bruce,

Just wanted to give you heads-up on this. Another member of the team has logged this as a new feature and I attached this thread so you’ll get a heads-up when this is coded and released.

Also I haven’t got much time to explore this, we are prioritizing the high influx of new threads over custom dev like this. Hope I have a small window to investigate this soon 🙂

Best,
    Nico

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘New venue selection is a backward step’ is closed to new replies.