New deprecated things but these have no alternatives. What do I do now?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO New deprecated things but these have no alternatives. What do I do now?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Cynthia Lockley
    Participant

I seemed to have solved one deprecated notice but in solving that, I am now getting three more for functions in my child theme: tribe_get_meta, Tribe__Events__Meta_Factory, and tribe_get_meta_group. Each notice says there is no alternative. Do I still need something that solves what these functions solved or have the problems they solved been fixed?

[22-Jan-2018 17:48:05 UTC] PHP Notice: tribe_get_meta is deprecated since version 4.3 with no alternative available. in /wp-includes/functions.php on line 3842
    [22-Jan-2018 17:48:05 UTC] PHP Notice: /home/wdc_events/events.stcwdc.org/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/deprecated/Tribe__Events__Meta_Factory.php is deprecated since version 4.3 with no alternative available. in /wp-includes/functions.php on line 3970
    [22-Jan-2018 17:48:05 UTC] PHP Notice: tribe_get_meta_group is deprecated since version 4.3 with no alternative available. in /wp-includes/functions.php on line 3842

I can’t fine the second term (Tribe__Events__Meta_Factory) used in any of the files in the tribe_events folder or in my child theme’s functions.php file.

I found the first and third ones in two files customized in the child theme located in the tribe_events folder: single-venue.php and single-organizer.php.
    single-venue.php:
    `

<!-- Google Map Link -->

<!-- Venue Meta -->

</div><!-- .tribe-events-event-meta -->`

single-organizer.php
    `

`

I also found it in the /wp-content/plugins/events-calendar-pro/src/Tribe/Main.php file
    /**
    * Filters in a meta walker group for new items regarding the PRO addon.
    * @param string $html The current HTML for the event meta..
    * @param int $event_id The post_id of the current event.
    * @return string The modified HTML for the event meta.
    */
    public function single_event_the_meta_addon( $html, $event_id ) {

// add custom meta if it's available
            $html .= tribe_get_meta_group( 'tribe_event_group_custom_meta' );

return $html;
        }

I’ve found two of them in customized files in my child theme and also used in the PRO plugin’s /wp-content/plugins/events-calendar-pro/src/Tribe/Main.php file, which is strange if they are deprecated. The only place I find the Tribe__Events__Meta_Factory is in the plugin’s file that says it is deprecated.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Cynthia Lockley. Reason: fix markup of code
    Barry

Hi Cynthia,

Thanks for reaching out.

All three of those things relate to the meta factory, which was the system we previously used to compose the “meta” information found on single event pages – typically that information shows up as grey boxes, looking something like this:

The meta factory was a fairly complex system and our users found that interacting with it, for instance when they needed to customize their single event pages, was particularly challenging. To that end we decided to remove it and use a simpler template based system.

What I would recommend at this point is removing any code related to the meta factory and, if you wish to customize your single event views, follow the template override and other basic theming procedures described here instead:

theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/themers-guide

I hope that answers your question but do let me know if I can clarify anything 🙂

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘New deprecated things but these have no alternatives. What do I do now?’ is closed to new replies.