My site is running very slow + slow to edit events in dashboard

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO My site is running very slow + slow to edit events in dashboard

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Gisela Nilsson
    Participant

My site, guidetovintage.com is running very slow. It only has a few pages and 90% of the site is events from the events calendar plugin.

If you go to this page which lists the events, you will see what I mean: http://www.guidetovintage.com/events/

I have published 2,300 events and many of them are recurring.

I am on shared server with dreamhost.

Working with the EVENTS on wp-admin is very slow too and often times as I publish or update, instead of staying in EDIT EVENTS, it goes to this page with a message “Page cannot be found”: http://www.guidetovintage.com/events/ See attached image. I got it now when I went to SETTINGS for EVENTS to copy the system information.

Clicking on Events > events in the dashboard is super slow.

I don’t know how to code or go into the CSS etc so need all the help I can get.

Thank you!!!!

Gisela Nilsson
    Participant

PS. I updated the plug in just now and it doesn’t make a difference

Gisela Nilsson
    Participant

Me again. I have now tried 4 times to set a pending recurrent event as a draft (as the events are duplicates) but every time I do it, it goes to Page cannot be found (as in screen shot).

I now tried to simply go into the event to remove the recurring rules, save it as pending, and THEN change it to draft but I get the “Page cannot be found” instead of getting into the event.

So frustrated 🙁

Nico

Hi @guidegirl,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear about this issue 🙁

First of all please take a look at this article: The Events Calendar Performance Considerations, where the big picture of performance is outlined.

For your particular case, I guess a basic shared hosting plan for the amount of content you have on the site is clearly not enough. Specially if you are not doing any caching at any level!

Let’s do the following:

– Try contacting your server customer support and ask them about the expected performance of a site like your in a shared hosting account. Ask if the memory limit can be modified or if any other tweak is available to give the site more resources. If possible upgrade the plan to a more robust one.
    – Also, ask them for the server error log, there might be some issue with recurring events we are not yet aware of.
    – Regarding the page not found error, I see it’s a front-end error. Are you getting that error from the backend? What’s the URL in the error screen?
    – To leverage the event’s admin screen please try using the snippet in this article: Hide recurring event instances in the admin. And let me know if using it shows an improvement in the Events listing.
    – I see you have Facebook events installed,Are you fetching events from various pages? 10-20? 20-50? 50-100? 100+?
    – Last but not least you should start doing some caching. The obvious step is to install a plugin (Top WordPress caching plugins), but that’s just the tip of the iceberg!

Hopefully the tips above should make an initial dent and put you in a better spot!

Please let me know about it and I’ll continue to help you out 🙂
    Best,
    Nico

Gisela Nilsson
    Participant

Hello Nico,

thanks for your quick reply and for your offer to help me along (good thing since I am not a coder at all and so I don’t even know where to start. But I am very good at following instructions).

Answers to your suggestions:

1. I will contact dreamhost about the server and potentially upgrade
    2. Page not found error: I am working in the backend and either I try to go into an event to edit it, or I am publishing it, or just updating it – and it jumps to that front end page with the error. So I have to go back to the back end and start over. This happens repeatedly and has been for a while.
    3. I want to install that snippet but I honestly have no idea where to add it or how as I am never in the code… I tried once and the whole site crashed. Can you send me step by step on how to add it?
    4. Facebook events: I used to have hundreds of pages that I pick event from but it was so slow that I keep the list in excel and once in a while I go in and paste in maybe 25 pages at a time and import those events, and then move on to the next 25. Currently, I have less than 10 pages listed, and often I only have 1.
    5. I will look into the caching. I read that somewhere else so I will look into it asap.

Thank you,
    Gisela

Gisela Nilsson
    Participant

This reply is private.

Gisela Nilsson
    Participant

This reply is private.

Gisela Nilsson
    Participant

This reply is private.

Nico

This reply is private.

Gisela Nilsson
    Participant

This reply is private.

Gisela Nilsson
    Participant

This reply is private.

Nico

This reply is private.

Gisela Nilsson
    Participant

This reply is private.

Gisela Nilsson
    Participant

This reply is private.

Nico

This reply is private.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • The topic ‘My site is running very slow + slow to edit events in dashboard’ is closed to new replies.