Multi-day cut-off time not working on future calendars

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Multi-day cut-off time not working on future calendars

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Rob.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Alastair
    Participant

I posted a previous thread regarding an interfering query which was tripping up multi-day cutoff, but I removed that query and that problem was solved. However I was already experiencing the following issue, which is still present:

The main calendar display works fine (at “/events/”) but for future calendars (“/events/xxxx-xx”) the cutoff time has no effect.

Jonah
    Participant

Hey Alastair, I trust you are running the latest version of the plugin? It seems to be working ok for me even when I go into the future. Can you email me login credentials so I can take a look at your setup? Please send an example or two for me to look at. Email jonah [at] tri [dot] be

Alastair
    Participant

Thanks Jonah, I just mailed you.

Jonah
    Participant

Hey Alastair, I’ve tried to duplicate this issue on my end and I’m not seeing any issues. I’ve tried it with re-occurrence and without and moving back and forth between months. Have you tried deactivating all other plugins to see if there is some conflict happening? That, or troubleshooting any custom code in your theme? I’m thinking it’s something with one of those two things.

Alastair
    Participant

Hi Jonah, I’ve tested it with twenty ten and no other plugins and it’s the same. I came across something that might provide a clue. My main “this month” calendar display suddenly started exhibiting the same behaviour, and I tracked the cause, which I can describe as:

a single event, that ends after midnight but before the cutoff time, shows as double day when it falls on the same day as a multi-day event set to “all day”.

This is on my main “this month” calendar. On my “next month” calendar, all events that end after midnight show as doubles, and switching off “all day” on any other events has no effect. This is the same for me with twenty ten and no plugins except the calendar pair.

Henry

Just to touch on the “interfering” query issue you had – if you modify the default query with say, query_posts(), then it is always a good idea to reset the query after you’ve finished with it using wp_reset_query()

If you alter the main loop your post-related global variables and template tags will be altered. Conditional tags that are called after you call query_posts() will also be altered. If you didn’t reset the query then this is probably why you were having problems.

More info on this here:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/query_posts

Alastair
    Participant

Hi Henry, I understand that well, but it’s a separate issue. To be clear, I’ve tested, and the problem of the cutoff time not working is occuring on a vanilla install of WP running the default twenty ten theme with no plugins and no custom code. There is also a clash occuring within the plugin itself as I’ve detailed above – setting a multiday event to “all day” is affecting the display of other events which occur on the same day(s). From what I can tell, it’s not a theme issue.

Alastair
    Participant

I’ve got a workaround to go with for now. If, when setting start / end times of an event, I set end time to be before start time, the front end only displays the start time. This is fine.

However, I’ve noticed an oddity. Let’s say the event start time is 5.30pm. If I set the end time to 5.30pm, the front end will display 5.30pm-5.30pm. If I set the end time to 4.30pm, the front end will only the start time, but in the edit page, once it reloads after saving, the time will now read 5.30pm. Any subsequent save of the edit page, without resetting the event end time to be before the start time, will cause the front end display to again show 5.30pm-5.30pm.

I think it would be a really good idea if there was a simple way to switch off the “end time” display altogether. A lot of the events I’m posting to my site aren’t all dayers, but the end time can be loose and unpredictable.

Rob

Hey Alastair. Jonah is out for the next couple days so I wanted to follow-up on this. It does sound like something else may be at play on your system; I too am unable to recreate this issue on a vanilla install with just the 2.0.5 code running. The one difference is that I’m on the default 2011 theme (as we stopped testing against the 2010 one once 2011 had been out a couple months). Can you try that release and let me know if the same issue persists? If it does please share a screenshot with your time zone settings. Here are mine, as a point of reference: http://cl.ly/41470l2W3Q3i1H1w300E.

I can definitely see issues arising with the workaround you’ve found, so tread lightly. We have had quite a few requests to disable that end time requirement since we launched 2.0 so I suspect eventually during the 2.1 lifecycle we’ll be working such functionality in.

Let me know about that first point and I’ll do what I can to troubleshoot.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Multi-day cut-off time not working on future calendars’ is closed to new replies.