Modifying tribe_meta_event_cats() output

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Modifying tribe_meta_event_cats() output

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Joe

Hi there,
    I’m trying to customize the output of single.php, and I was wondering how to change the output of the tribe_meta_event_cats() function. By default it outputs a and tag with the category links in alphabetical order, separated by a comma. I would like to modify it to do something like [category-name] for each. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Joe

Well, guess I can’t use HTML tags. The output I’m trying to achieve is [a href=”{link to category}” class=”{category slug}”][span]{category name}[/span][/a]

Rob

Sorry about the lack of HTML tags in the forum…we’re working to change that. I’ll get our dev Jonah to respond as to your initial request.

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Joe,

Unfortunately this is not possible without modifying the core code at this time. We are looking into things like this to make everything more editable and will take it into consideration.

If you want to modify the core code (your changes will be overwritten the next time you update) you will want to modify /plugins/the-events-calendar/public/template-tags/general.php – line 102.

Regards,
    Jonah

Joe

Thanks Jonah, that’s what I figured. Would you mind helping me with the particular format I was trying to achieve? The tribe_meta_event_cats() function will let me change the [dt] and [dd] tags surrounding the category links, but I’m trying to edit the output of the link itself, which doesn’t seem to be set in that function. Instead of the current
    [a href=”$categorylink” rel=”tag”]$categoryname[/a]
    I’m trying to change it to
    {a href=”$categorylink” class=”events-$categoryslug” rel=”tag”][span]$categoryname[/span][/a]
    I don’t know where to find this, or how to call the category slug.

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Joe,

To modify the actual links you’ll have to change the tribe_meta_event_cats function to use get_terms instead of the_terms and modify the output accordingly: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/get_terms

Again, by modifying the core code your changes will be wiped out when you update unless you keep a catalog of your core changes and reintroduce after updating.

You might try modifying the links via jQuery instead for now although it would be difficult to dynamically pull in the category info for each link.

Regards,
    Jonah

Joe

Thanks Jonah, I’ll take a look at that. How can I output the category slug to give each link its own unique class?

Jonah
    Participant
    Joe

That’s awesome, thank you Jonah! One thing though: it looks like that creates a link for every category in the system, instead of just the categories for that particular event.

Jonah
    Participant

Try changing the $args variable to:

$args = array( 'taxomomy'=>'sp_events_cat','orderby' => 'slug' );

Joe

No luck. Does get_the_ID() need to go anywhere?

Jonah
    Participant

No I don’ think so. What about if you use this:

$args = array( 'orderby' => 'slug' );
    $terms = get_terms('sp_events_cat', $args);

I’m not seeing the rest of my categories in the list and actually get_terms doesn’t get categories, it gets taxonomy terms… By putting ‘sp_events_cat’ as the first parameter this should tell get_terms to only get terms from that tax.

Joe

Still outputting links to all categories in the system. :/ Just to confirm, here’s the full function:

function tribe_meta_event_cats( $label=null, $separator=', ') {
    if( !$label ) { $label = __('Category:', 'tribe-events-calendar'); }

$tribe_ecp = TribeEvents::instance();
    //the_terms( get_the_ID(), $tribe_ecp->get_event_taxonomy(), ''.$label.'', $separator, '' );

$args = array( 'orderby' => 'slug' );

$terms = get_terms($tribe_ecp->get_event_taxonomy(), $args);

$count = count($terms); $i=0;
    if ($count > 0) {
    echo '' . $label . '';
    echo '';
    foreach ($terms as $term) {
    $i++;
    $term_list .= 'slug . '" title="' . sprintf(__('View all post filed under %s', 'my_localization_domain'), $term->name) . '" class="' . $term->slug . '">' . $term->name . ', ';
    }
    echo $term_list;
    echo '';
    }

}

Joe

Sorry, guess there’s a reason why pastebin is preferred:
    http://pastebin.com/ZiMD3gwt

Joe

That works perfectly. Thanks again for the great support on this!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Modifying tribe_meta_event_cats() output’ is closed to new replies.