Missing "select" Form Labels — Accessibility Error

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Missing "select" Form Labels — Accessibility Error

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Dickson
    Participant

Hi Everyone,
    I’m running a WAVE check for accessibility and found missing form label errors for select options

Example

This is not limited to Calendar Pro, it’s also an issue in the filter bar select tool

Specifically (see image)
    Wave screen grab followed by source code from Firefox followed by a CSS tricks tutorial for markup.

In the image you’ll see that the markup isn’t quite right and this might be something that could be corrected in a later release.

I’m new to using this plugin so It’s very possible I’m missing something that would correct this on the admin end. If so please let me know.

Geoff

Hey Joseph,

Man, these are awesome notes! Seriously. I love that you’re not only digging into the accessibility of our plugins but willing to help us keep it on our radar as well.

The truth is that we are working on a number of accessibility improvements. In fact, one of our developers is tasked with auditing our code for opportunities and has noted the exact same things you have, such as the view switch for the calendar.

As you may know, The Events Calendar has been around for a number of years and it definitely was not initially developed with accessibility in mind, though improvements have been made along the way. It will definitely take us some time to get where we want, but do know that we are working on incremental changes in our maintenance releases and planning larger improvements in our future feature releases. In other words, stay tuned, because we’re on a journey here and you will indeed see the results, even if it’s one small piece at a time.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions here about our accessibility plans and I’d be happy to help as best I can. 🙂

Cheers!
    Geoff

Joseph Dickson
    Participant

Hi Geoff,
    I have some QA experience (mostly fixing my own code.) and I don’t mind sharing suggestions.

I’m marking this as “resolved” since you’ll be addressing it in time.

Side note, we’ve only been using this on our website for most of the week and it’s received a lot unsolicited praise on campus.

Geoff

Side note, we’ve only been using this on our website for most of the week and it’s received a lot unsolicited praise on campus.

That is really awesome! I certainly appreciate the kind words — it’s feedback like this that everyone here on the team strives for and seeing it validates the work we do, so thanks!

I’ll go ahead and close this thread, but definitely keep us posted if you come across questions or have comments about the plugins and we’d be happy to help.

Also, we value the fine art of QA around here and, though we recently filled a couple of open spots on the team for it, please do watch our careers page — we’re always on the prowl for folks with a fine eye for detail. 🙂

Cheers!
    Geoff

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Missing "select" Form Labels — Accessibility Error’ is closed to new replies.