Memory leak on ECP – Edit Event

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Memory leak on ECP – Edit Event

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    towertheater
    Participant

Hi

I am using ECPro to have recurring events (30 parent events) with child/recurring events at a max of 20-30 instances, even though the database is quite new, if the event has multiple child events the page takes a huge time to load, it seems like a JS problem that only occurs on the admin page when I want to edit the event…

I have tried different browsers and a clean install with the same results:

MAC/Safari -> Crashes
    Linux/Chrome -> Crashes (The tab is using around 550mb of memory)
    Linux/Firefox-> Screenshot Below..

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Nicolas!

Thanks for reaching out to us! Let me help you with this topic.

First, please make sure you are using the latest versions of our plugins. Remember you can always download our plugins from your downloads page > https://theeventscalendar.com/my-account/downloads/

This latest versions may include improvements and bug fixes that may affect the performance.

We have a great article that will get you started on Performance Considerations you should know about. After that, if you decide to implement a caching system then you can move to these articles: Caching: What, when and how and Caching month view HTML in transients

Finally, there is a good article George put up here that groups a set of developer plugins. It’s a bit more technical than the others but will definitely be of help if you are into development.

If you still experience a slow down in performance when editing a recurring event, please share a screenshot of the event series settings. We’ll try to reproduce it on our side.

Additionally, please see if there are any console errors by inspecting the page? We have an article that explains how to do that here > https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/using-google-chrome-developer-tools/

Let us know how that goes.

Thanks,
    Victor

towertheater
    Participant

Hi Victor,

I updated the staging site to the latest plugin version but the problem continues, the problem itself is not on the backend, the server responds right away to get event instances on the front end trough JSON API.

The problem only occurs on the admin page on the browser when we are editing new events … no errors, just a cycle (on recurring events) that seem to freezes the page.

No pending network responses.

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Nicolas!

Thanks for clearing that out.

Is the page freezing when editing all recurring events or just some?

Do those recurring events have many “Once” exclusions? Please send us a screenshot of the event series settings, so we can try to reproduce on our end.

Thanks,
    Victor

towertheater
    Participant

Yep, mostly all event are scheduled creating once events; the weekly or daily model, doesn’t really apply.

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Nicolas!

Thanks for confirming that.

Unfortunately, this is an issue we are already aware of when setting up many “Once” instances for a recurring event, which causes the load of many select2 fields in the browser and makes it easily to conflict with the browsers built-in throttling.

I will set this tread as “Pending fix” and link it to the bug report so we can let you know once we ship a fix in one of our next maintenance releases of our plugins.

We can’t commit to a date for a fix, but I can already tell it is of high priority and a developer is already working on it.

We apologise for the inconvenience and we appreciate your patience while we work on this.

Best,
    Victor

towertheater
    Participant

Hi Victor,

Does the fix for the bug has a scheduled date? The plugin is great and I have used it on other sites, but this issue makes it unusable for the client which is considering using a different option.

Thanks,

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Nicolas!

Thanks for following up.

I’ve just checked the report and it seems we’re aiming for a fix to be shipped in our next maintenance release cycle in about three weeks from now.

Bear in mind the fix is still in an early stage of development so we can’t really commit to a date. If we happen to find a workaround in the meantime, we will keep you posted about it. But for the moment, it seems the only workaround is to keep the number of “Once” instances up to 20.

Best,
    Victor

Nico

Hi there,

Just wanted to share with you that a new maintenance release is out, including a fix for this issue. We are aware there’s more room for improvement around this area, but hopefully these initial improvements will alleviate the situation for now.

Find out more about this release → https://theeventscalendar.com/maintenance-release-for-the-week-of-12-feburary-2018/

Update the plugins and let us know if the fix works for your site,
    Cheers,
    Nico

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Memory leak on ECP – Edit Event’ is closed to new replies.