Many questions, possible bugs

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Many questions, possible bugs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Sheila
    Participant

Thank you for this great tool. I’m very excited about this add-on and have spent the last week working with it. As the title says I have many questions and some things that might be bugs.

First the possible bugs:
    1) When I remove events from within the WP Dashboard I seem to consistently get a message Error in moving to Trash. It does remove the items but it’s a disconcerting message and a very blank screen except for that message. What’s up with that?

2) I have settings set to allow to edit and delete events. But after adding an event (logged in as user not admin) when it comes up and says add another event or edit event, and I choose to edit it comes up and says “You do not have permission to edit this event.”

Then some how-tos and customizations:
    1) What do I need to edit to remove “Last Updated” from the Summary? This is not particularly of interest to most viewers. Less is more.
    2) same question to remove “See All” when the event repeats. This org has tons of repeating events and they’d prefer not to include See All.
    3) I thought there was a built-in way to have a drop-down list of the categories to filter by. Apparently not. Is there a tutorial on doing that?
    4) I made a custom field for “city” and would like to make it required AND I would like to be able to have a drop-down list of the cities at the top as well. Is this possible? How?
    5) Also, we’ll only have this one Custom Field. Is there a way to change the heading so it just names the field instead of saying Custom Field? Maybe it could say required there?! Where do I edit that on the form? DUH, probably somewhere on the form.php eh? Haven’t looked yet. But I’m pretty green at working in the code.

I’m paying a great programmer to assist me and he can probably deal with ALL these things. But some of them seem like basic support questions and I do need to learn for myself. So any ways I can keep his time minimized is good for my client.

Dev site is at http://www.soco.hoffmangraphics.com/calendar
    Currently categories are displayed horizontally thanks to custom code provided. But it messes up when switching to category views and I don’t know how to change it to a drop-down menu.

Thanks,
    Sheila

Sheila
    Participant

Update on possible bug #2: When the site admin is notified there’s been an event added and she follows the link for editing it (by the number like this one… Review Event if she didn’t add it she can’t edit it. In this case I added that event so I could access it to edit but she couldn’t. I assumed admin would be able to edit ALL events via the ECP interface. Can she only edit ALL events via the WP Dashboard? There seems to be an issue with editing access.

Rob

Hey Sheila! Thanks for the note(s) here, and my apologies for taking a couple days to address the initial message. Wanted to fully digest it before jumping in with a response. Now that I have…

#1. I assume this is only happening with submissions, and not regularly-created events? What’s weird is I just tried this on a couple different submissions (one using the “Trash” link that appears on hover in the backend list, another by checking the box and moving it that way) and both went without issue. Wondering if this is an issue related to your permalink structure or possibly a conflict of some kind…also just to confirm, you’re running 2.0.6 for both releases…correct?

#2. The admin should be able to edit all events, but if they’re editing an event that is not their own they would need to do so via the backend. (The frontend list of submitted events only shows “MY Events”, ie those submitted by the user currently logged in). It sounds like even with this in mind there is still a problem here. Can you set me up with a set of credentials to test as a non-admin user? Email the creds to pro /a/ tri.be with a reference to this thread and I’ll jump into it from there.

On the customization end…

#1. The “Last Updated” is a specific requirement of the SEO microformats we introduced in a recent build to help with content getting indexed. I can get a dev to point you towards how to remove it, but you’re almost certainly going to take a hit from an SEO standpoint as a result. We advise against removing that unless you absolutely have to.
    #2. Talked this over with Jonah today. You just need to edit /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/views/single.php, removing the link on line 55.
    #3. At this point no dropdown for the categories exists, though based on customer feedback we may be adding this in a release shortly down the road. Maybe this thread (https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/wp_dropdown_categories/) will be of value in the interim?
    #4. That’s a bit on the customization side…at this point there is no way for required custom fields on the frontend form, though as yours is the second request for this we’ve had in two days, I expect it’ll be included in 1.1 or 1.2 (our next two planned releases for early June and early July, respectively).
    #5. I checked out an individual listing on your site (ie http://soco.hoffmangraphics.com/event/highline-garden-tour) and did not see the header in question. Can you give me a little more information so I can fully understand the issue, to try and guide you from there on this? Thanks in advance!

I *believe* that covered everything here. But let me know your thoughts after reviewing and I can follow-up as needed.

Sheila
    Participant

Thanks so much Rob. Yes 2.0.6 for both. Just sent you login info. Will explore all your responses and get back to you. When you login will you check for both the potential bugs please?

Rob

Thanks Sheila. On the #2 issue…I am seeing the same issue on your test site, and so long as you don’t have any role manager plugins and haven’t modified the default roles in any way (please confirm if so) it sounds like there may be a bug of some kind there.

If you can keep that set of creds active and send me over an admin account for the same site, I can jump deeper into this issue and hopefully try to take a look at #1 too. Thanks in advance!

Rob

Hi again Sheila. So I jumped into your site as an admin with the credentials you sent over, and I’m seeing that the problematic user account was “Member.” As that is not a default role that I have on my WP install, can I assume that you created this? If so, where would I see the exact roles/capabilities assigned to this user on the backend?

It sounds like this may be a problem with customized roles, which we’ll want to get patched up for sure. Let me know and I can recreate this on my end and get our devs what they need accordingly.

Sheila
    Participant

That is MOST odd Rob. I do not have any customized roles or plug-ins. I believe, in looking at that, that it was created somehow by ECP. The ONLY “member” listed is the one I setup to have access to the calendar (all members will be using that one login). But I thought that role was part of ECP. I did not create it. The ECP path is set for /calendar/member/add. Could using Member there have anything to do with it?

I was thinking about trying to just delete that one “member” and see what the fall out is. This dev site is a clone of their live site. The live site does not have this role at all. The only difference in the 2 installations is ECP and the Community add-on.

Hope this info helps unravel the puzzle. I haven’t changed anything for now. Please advise.

Sheila
    Participant

I just changed the one “member” role to “contributor”. We’ll see if that changes anything. But I’m eager to hear back from you. The client is getting antsy. They wanted this to go live with content by June 1 and this is creating a slow down of progress.

Sheila
    Participant

Couldn’t edit last post… After changing role I logged in as that user and posted. Then tried to edit. Still same issue. It says I don’t have permission to edit event. BUT I was able to delete it from the Dashboard without that error in moving to trash. I deleted mine from within the event. Then I deleted your test event from the listing view rather than the edit view and no error. So we may’ve fixed one issue at least. But not the more important one. We MUST be able to allow users to edit from their interface.

Sheila
    Participant

hmmm…My users shouldn’t KNOW that they can go to wp-admin and see a modified version of the Dashboard. BUT I tried it to see what they see at the role “contributor”. It lists all the events. But they can only VIEW them not EDIT or DELETE them. So this tells me ECP’s setting is taking to allow these functions.

Sheila
    Participant

sorry…that was supposed to be is NOT taking to allow…
    Why can’t I edit my posts anymore?

Rob

Hey Sheila. Thanks for the follow-ups; happy to help here as best I can, but admittedly as a team of freelancers (and with just Jonah & myself running support) we’ve got limited bandwidth here on the forums each day….so bear with us on that end 🙂

So just to summarize your past few notes and make sure we’re on the same page here:

* The trashing issues has been resolved so we can ignore that.
    * You’ve removed the “Member” role and changed it to a “Subscriber.”

In terms of allowing users to edit from their interface: that is definitely the way the plugin is intended to operate, and has operated on all the sites we’ve encountered so far. If I understand your last note on the topic you’re saying that the default roles are overridding the plugin’s ability to let users edit posts that they technically cannot see on the backend?

Just want to make sure we’re on the same page, and to identify what exactly the issue that remains is. Looking through the backend of your site I see a few other aspects that may help us identify what’s up:

* Please try reverting back to the standard slug structure to see if this issue persists: /events/community/add for the form.
    * I see you have a plugin active called “Redirection.” Redirecting plugins have caused conflicts in the past and it’d be good to test without this activated, if possible.
    * Lastly, you’re running the Community alpha code. That is not the final/stable/supported release…and could very well be the root of our issues here. Any chance you can upgrade to the official tagged 1.0 build to see if the issue persists?

Let me know about the above and we can keep troubleshooting from there. Thanks for your patience and the detailed responses so far.

As for editing your posts here on the forum…the edit functionality is busted. We’ve got a fix to deploy for it next time we push out a round of website tweaks. Apologies for the inconvenience in the interim on that end.

Sheila
    Participant

Thanks Rob. I did NOT get notified of this post which is why I hadn’t seen it until now. Maybe it’s part of the editing ability that’s broken?
    You have summarized the remaining issue correctly. I will go try these things and report back asap.

Rob

I’m reposting what I sent via email as I’d prefer to keep the conversation tracked here than via emails…

Thanks Sheila. Just took another look around the backend of the site and I am still seeing an issue as well. Something else is up here —

Also worth noting:

* I think your permalink structure is messed up and missing the trailing slash: http://d.pr/i/aDd8.
    * Probably isn’t wise to have the Community rewrite slug as “event”, since that is already taken by the single event entry slug. These should not be the same.

The problem is that even with the option to edit ones own submission turned on, I am not seeing the Edit link in the broader events list for the sococulture account. This makes no sense and is counter to what I’m seeing on every test site I’ve run this on so far: with that setting enabled, the “Edit” option appears in the events list and the ability to edit works: http://d.pr/i/8Lb3. The fact that you are not seeing this means that something (either custom code in the theme or another plugin) is causing a conflict.

Have you already tried the plugin/theme deactivation route? Deactivating each plugin one-by-one, then reverting to the 2011 theme with plugins deactivated as needed? That is my best bet at this point in helping us identify a conflict.

Sheila
    Participant

Rob, thanks for walking me through all the troubleshooting steps. After trying the 2011 theme to rule out my theme, and deactivating all plug-ins, to no avail I finally played with the roles and that was it…
    I FIXED IT!
    It was indeed a role issue. We had it on “member” which didn’t work and you had me change. You thought that was an added on role. I then downed the level to “contributor”. But I just upped it to “editor” and now the edit and delete options are there AND they work.

Sheila

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Many questions, possible bugs’ is closed to new replies.