manually updating plugins using ftp

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO manually updating plugins using ftp

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    imdesigngroup
    Participant

I’m trying to update, the-events-calendar-community-events plugin.
    When updating this plugin manually I noticed the old file name is: the-events-calendar-community-events where the new file name has .3.8.1 added to the end, so now it reads the-events-calendar-community-events.3.8.1
    Do I need to remove the old plugin folder, if so we will lose data?

Brook
    Participant

Howdy imdesigngroup,

Before going further you might checkout the Codex’s steps on manual install. The only difference between an update and an install as far as WordPress is concerned is that it deletes the old plugin folder just prior to copying the new one over. Also, WordPress autoupdate will go into maintenance mode for the duration of the update, preventing some outlier possibilities like the plugin requiring reactivation after the update. Now to answer your questions.

When updating this plugin manually I noticed the old file name is: the-events-calendar-community-events where the new file name has .3.8.1 added to the end, so now it reads the-events-calendar-community-events.3.8.1

The zip file that you downloaded from the website is named  the-events-calendar-community-events.3.8.1.zip. If you open that with a zip utility you will see one folder inside, “the-events-calendar-community-events”. This is the folder that should be copied into /wp-content/plugins/. It should noe be copied into a subdirectory like /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar-community-events.3.8.1/ Does that make sense?

Do I need to remove the old plugin folder, if so we will lose data?

When updating it is standard to remove the old plugin folder. You should not lose any data ordinarily, all data is stored within the database, and any modifications like theme overrides made via our API should not exist in that folder either, in which case deleting is safe. However, as recommended by the Codex and everyone who loves you, make backups! It’s always a good idea.

Please let me know if you have questions. If not, mind marking this resolved? Cheers!

– Brook

imdesigngroup
    Participant

Thank you Brook! This worked out wonderfully 🙂

Brook
    Participant

Excellent! Glad to hear it.

– Brook

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘manually updating plugins using ftp’ is closed to new replies.