Major Site Slowness and Downtime

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Major Site Slowness and Downtime

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Annie Tandy
    Participant

I’ve been talking with my hosting service (Flywheel) for two days now about my site going down and major site slowness. They set my account to have more resources, they have upped everything they can as well as suggested minor tweaks to optimize my database, however the overwhelming culprit looks to be my calendar. They sent me the slow_error log (copied below). Can you please help me? I’m looking into seeing if I should switch calendars all together, but have had a great experience with your support team and I love the calendar’s user interface.

slow_error log:

`
    slow_errors: 10561
    slow_errors_common: [pool site-59084] script_filename = /www//index.php mysqli_query() /www/wp-includes/wp-db.php:1942 _do_query() /www/wp-includes/wp-db.php:1830 query() /www/wp-includes/wp-db.php:2511 get_results() /www/wp-includes/class-wp-query.php:2856 get_posts() /www/wp-includes/class-wp-query.php:3248 query() /www/wp-includes/class-wp-query.php:3357 __construct() /www/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/Tribe/Query.php:1052 getEvents() /www/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/functions/template-tags/general.php:238 tribe_get_events() /www/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/Tribe/Main.php:4009 get_closest_event() /www/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/Tribe/Main.php:4040 get_event_link() /www/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/functions/template-tags/link.php:65 tribe_get_next_event_link() /www/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/functions/template-tags/link.php:52 tribe_the_next_event_link() /www/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/views/single-event.php:49 [INCLUDE_OR_EVAL]() /www/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/functions/template-tags/general.php:45 tribe_get_view() /www/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/Tribe/Templates.php:483 load_ecp_into_page_template() /www/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php:298 apply_filters() /www/wp-includes/plugin.php:203 apply_filters() /www/wp-includes/post-template.php:240 the_content() /www/wp-content/themes/mh_newsdesk/content-page.php:8 [INCLUDE_OR_EVAL]() /www/wp-includes/template.php:690
    slow_errors_common_total: 3863
    slow_errors_common_themes_and_plugins: /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar: 10084
    /wp-content/themes/mh_newsdesk: 9512

`

I am also contacting my theme company (MH Newsdesk). If I could mark this support thread “urgent” I would. Please help! My filter bar license is expired, but I am waiting to renew to see if this can be solved before I continue. All of my other plugins are updated.

Thanks!
    Annie

Hi Annie,

Thanks so much for reaching out!

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing performance issues on your site.

As a first step, please have a look at our Performance Considerations and see if there is anything you can adjust in order to help your site run better:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/performance-considerations/

After that, you may be interested in caching, so take a look at this article:  https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/caching-basics/

In addition, you can check out some of the solutions provided in this forum post:

https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/decreasing-loading-time-for-big-amount-of-events/

I would also recommend looking into some of the plugins in this blog post, as they may be able to help you pinpoint where site slowness may be occurring:

https://theeventscalendar.com/favorite-developer-plugins/

Let me know how it goes and if you need any further assistance on this topic!

Thanks,

Jaime

Annie Tandy
    Participant

I read all of the articles and forum posts you linked to- thank you. The problem is that I already had the settings configured to all of the suggestions. I only display 3 events in the month view, I have CloudFlare which extensively caches my site and Flywheel also has caching set to help with the speed. I got rid of my events widget a long time ago because I didn’t want my site to need to pull up the calendar and increase the load. Do I still need to disable JSON LD? Because that post was from over a year ago, so I’m hoping that issue was fixed. I just disabled month view completely because I didn’t want that to even factor in. It seems like there should be another answer. I’m still having issues with site speed. Can you look at my site and calendar and see if something else can be done?

My hosting service has been really helpful, but has done everything they can do. The slow errors point to the calendar. I also talked to the theme company and they said it’s the calendar as well. I really need to figure this out because I can’t have readers, writers, and my advertisers complaining that they can’t access my site. It’s embarrassing and is going to put me out of business.

Thanks,
    Annie

Annie Tandy
    (708) 557-2593
    kidlist • activities for kids: mykidlist.com
    facebook • twitter • instagram • pinterest

Hi Annie,

Thank  you for your response.  Unfortunately, we cannot log in to your site, as per our Support Policy, but we will do our best to help you here.

As far as disabling JSON LD, you should not need to do that if you have month view disabled completely, which it sounds like you do.  The snippet provided in the forum thread is specifically for month view, so it isn’t a necessary solution for you.

I referenced this blog post in my previous response, but have you looked in to any of the plugins detailed here?  I would especially recommend something like Query Monitor which may be able to pinpoint where issues can be occurring:

https://theeventscalendar.com/favorite-developer-plugins/

In addition, I am seeing an error on your site related to Google Maps API multiple times on one page.  If you have this entered in more than one place, like in your theme and in your event settings, try deleting it from everywhere except for one place.

Let me know how it goes!

Thanks,

Jaime

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Major Site Slowness and Downtime’ is closed to new replies.