Long Query & Site Timing Out

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Long Query & Site Timing Out

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jebs38
    Participant

Barry,

I am starting a new thread as you suggested. I will respond to your suggestions one at a time here:

I’ve looked at your site and noted (for instance) that month view is set to display a very large number of events per day, rather than cutting things off at a maximum of 4 followed by a see more link.

If that’s still the case, would it be possible to amend that setting (and similarly, if you have configured things so that a large number of events are shown in list-type views perhaps that could also be reduced by some margin).

I have disabled the month view because I need to be as efficient as I can with my site’s resources. I also disabled the map view for the same reason. I hated doing that, but those views are not that important to the site at this point. On my list view pages, I am only showing 10 events at a time.

Beyond that I’m not sure there’s too much we can offer right at this time especially as I’m aware we’ve covered many of the standard options potentially available to you in the course of previous support threads. Well tailored caching makes a tremendous difference but I realize caching is handled automatically by your host and so you’re pretty restricted there … maybe it’s worth talking to them to see if there’s anything else they can do?

It is your company’s plugin that is causing the endless queries and that is where our solution is. It has been several months now (the post that I responded to was written in mid April and your company has not fixed this.

If you are dealing with large traffic spikes I also wonder if scaling up (temporarily) – or scaling out – is an option?

Scaling up or down is not an issue with WPEngine. It is done automatically (but more expensively). I have talked to WPE about some minimizing strategies. We are trying to set things up so we can get through the next week.

Thanks for your concern,
    John

Paul Gray
    Participant

I get similar long query errors that drastically slow the site and I am also hosted on WPengine.

Hi John:

Thanks for creating a separate thread for your performance concerns. I want you to know that your query and others in the community have lead us to review our plugin implementation, and over the summer our development focus is not going to be on functionality but instead on the performance of The Events Calendar and related plugins.

Barry is having limited availability this week but I will try to touch base with him to see if there are additional steps that he can recommend in the interim.

Thank you again for bringing to our attention your performance concerns and I want to assure you that we are looking into making The Events Calendar better performing for all users.

– Matthew

jebs38
    Participant

Thanks Matthew.
    I got an email from you guys today. I think we are fine for this week. WPEngine says that our resource use is now in an acceptable range.

John

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Long Query & Site Timing Out’ is closed to new replies.