Location search not working

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Location search not working

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Trevor S
    Participant

Hello

On this calendar: http://silver2016.staging.wpengine.com/events/ – searching for the town “Worcester” produces no results, but we have an event located there:

http://silver2016.staging.wpengine.com/event/walking-football-silversunday-cup/

I’ve disabled all other plugins and reverted to Twenty Seventeen theme. Any idea what we’re doing wrong? Thanks!

Courtney

Hi Trevor

When I use the “search” field for “Worcester”, I see the event listed. However, when I search in the “nearby” field, I do not.

Can you go to Events » Settings » General » Map view search distance limit and check the radius of the search area?

Please let me know if this works for you.

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Trevor S
    Participant

Thanks Courtney! It was set to a distance of 25 miles; I changed it to 100, but still not getting any results when I search “Near” for Worcester.

Courtney

Hi Trevor

I just tried searching this http://silver2016.staging.wpengine.com/events/?action=tribe_geosearch&tribe_paged=1&tribe_event_display=map&featured=false&tribe-bar-geoloc-lat=52.193636&tribe-bar-geoloc-lng=-2.22157500000003&tribe-bar-geoloc=Worcester+UK. Notice I added UK to the search, after finding at least one other Worcester (In Massachusetts, USA). Adding UK seems to have resolved the issue. I have searched for 4 other cities without including UK in the search, and it seems to work well.

I’m investigating this issue further, but it seems to be narrowed down to just once city for now.

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Trevor S
    Participant

Thanks Courtney! There are many parts of the UK that share placenames with the US, so if we need to ask users to add UK to their search, we can, but would be great to find a workaround…

Courtney

Oh I agree Trevor.  I checked in on this issue with my teammates.  One shared with me that he has encountered this, and the source issue seems to be with Google Maps.  Apparently a lot of UK cities and towns have this issue happen in Google Maps, which is super frustrating no matter where in the world we are.

Unfortunately, I do think adding UK on is the way to go for the best results, or even conducting the search yourself and using the link it generates in a menu, etc.

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Trevor S
    Participant

Thanks Courtney. Good suggestion but we can’t add links to a menu alas because we’re asking users to search for events near their home town, anywhere in the UK, with hundreds of possibilities.

I tried searching Google Maps for Worcester to see if the same problem happened there but of course it gives you a list of suggestions and lets you choose, when there are multiple possibilities – and in fact it suggests Worcester UK as the first one, followed by Worcester USA – perhaps because it knows I’m searching from Europe.

Is there any way we can limit results on the Events Calendar search to UK-only perhaps? That would solve the problem as all of the events and users are in the UK for this website.

Trevor S
    Participant

Hi Courtney / all – is there any way we use a filter to can restrict event search results to a single country? Thanks for any advice.

Courtney

Hi Trevor

I checked in with our developers and unfortunately, we do not have a way to filter Google Maps to restrict to such a parameter. However, we do have this flagged now as a known bug and you will be notified as soon as a solution is available.

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Trevor S
    Participant

OK thanks Courtney.

Courtney

Hi Trevor

It looks like our next update might have this issue resolved for you. I can’t make any official promises, but by next Thursday you might see this working better. We’ll keep you posted.

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Trevor!

Just wanted to share with you that a new maintenance release (for the Week of 1st November 2017) is out, including a fix for this issue 🙂

Find out more about this release → https://theeventscalendar.com/maintenance-release-for-the-week-of-1-november-2017/

Please update the plugins and let us know if the fix works for your site.

Best,
    Victor

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Location search not working’ is closed to new replies.