Local Music Calendar

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Local Music Calendar

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Robert G.

Hello, Modern tribe folks.

I’m interested in building a local music calendar to replace some spreadsheets those committed to the local music scene diligently put together every week. This would include cover bands, original artists, and community events featuring many bands bands in many venues within our geography (northern and western suburbs of Philadelphia, PA). The tech vision here is to use your Pro product to allow people to see what bands are playing near them on a given day, and possibly your Filter Bar to allow them to refine their search to certain genre and/or bands.

The goal is to be band/agent/venue agnostic and totally inclusive, as we have no vested interest in anyone. We just want to know who’s playing where on a given day. Most other sites I’ve seen are run by booking agents, venue owners/corporations or folks who run open mic programs and only list their own events or talent.

I’ve been playing with the basic Events, and can’t believe the enthusiasm of the handful of people and venue owners with whom I’ve shared the initial mockup version. I know I can change “Organizer” to “Performers” or “Bands”, which I’ll also do.

A few questions:

1) If a person filters on a music type (which we would, I assume, put as a category) can they then do a map view to see those bands? Map view is something everyone wants. And can it be restricted by day (“show me everything around me on Friday” he said, planning for the weekend…)

2) I envision adding the Community Events component (eventually) to allow bands and venues to drop their own events in, possible in return for a small voluntary donation to support the site. I think I can restrict end users to add their band (organizer) to add event at any venue, without being able to add other bands. Similarly, I think I get allow a venue to add any band, but not touch other venues. Can I grant granular access to a booking agent to book 10 specific bands into any venue, or book any band into 5 venues for which they book? (Neither is an uncommon arrangement)

3) Sounds cool, right?

Thanks for your attention, and for your products. I’m looking forward to using them.
    Robert G.

George
    Participant

Hey Robert, thanks for reaching out. I’ll address your queries as follows:

1) If a person filters on a music type (which we would, I assume, put as a category) can they then do a map view to see those bands? Map view is something everyone wants. And can it be restricted by day (“show me everything around me on Friday” he said, planning for the weekend…)

YES — This sort of filtering is generally possible, and with the Filter Bar it’s definitely possible as you describe.

As an example, I invite you to check out our official demo site here → http://wpshindig.com/events/map

You can tinker with some of the filtering options there. Here is an example (click screenshot for larger version):

☝️ Definitely click this to see the full version—it shows a location filter, a date filter, and category filter all being used in unison.

You can even link directly to filtered pages; you can click here to go to the above the Map View, filtered to only show events of the “tech event” category in Boston on September 27 is this.

2) I envision adding the Community Events component (eventually) to allow bands and venues to drop their own events in, possible in return for a small voluntary donation to support the site. I think I can restrict end users to add their band (organizer) to add event at any venue, without being able to add other bands. Similarly, I think I get allow a venue to add any band, but not touch other venues. Can I grant granular access to a booking agent to book 10 specific bands into any venue, or book any band into 5 venues for which they book? (Neither is an uncommon arrangement)

There unfortunately is not any granular control over booking in this way, e.g. “10 specific bands into any venue”—our plugins don’t have this sort of feature at this time. 🙁

Sorry to disappoint!

3) Sounds cool, right?

Indeed! ? I hope our plugins are useful!

I also hope this support answer is useful—let me know if so, and you have any other questions I can try to help with.

Cheers,
    George

Robert G.

Thank you, George.

That filtering will work fine, and the ability to send a link to a filtered result will be useful. Smaller venues will post a link to a filtered page for just their location, some of the users will just be interested in horn bands, so we can tag. Only question is the date range. I played with the link a bit, it looks like if I search on a date that contains at least one event, I get just that date returned. If I search on a date with no events, a range appears from my original search date to the first date with an event. Is there a range function in the works?

And just to confirm, I can’t restrict access even at the one-to-one level (a user restricted to adding only their band)? I could still make it work, I’d probably have to moderate, which I was hoping the plugin would handle.

Thanks so much for your help,
    Robert

George
    Participant

Hey Robert,

Thanks for your follow-up. There is unfortunately no date range feature in the works other than what you already find, for example, on the demo site. 🙁

Next, to ask:

And just to confirm, I can’t restrict access even at the one-to-one level (a user restricted to adding only their band)?

☝️ This is indeed not possible with our plugins out of the box. You could write extensive custom code to enable such limitations (or hire someone to write such code for you), but our plugins do not do this out of the box.

Sorry to disappoint here!

Please let me know what you think and if there are any other questions I can try to help with.

Sincerely,
    George

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Local Music Calendar’ is closed to new replies.