Link Facebook "Keywords" to Event Aggregator "Categorises"

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Link Facebook "Keywords" to Event Aggregator "Categorises"

• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Michelle Laverick.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michelle Laverick
    Participant

I’ve just got the aggregator up and running and imports my FB events beautifully! 🙂

However, I’m still left to categories my events manually unless missing something? I get a mix of events from the import – say TypeA, TypeB, TypeC events. What I would like to able to do categories those events in Facebook (perhaps using the “keywords” field in Facebook) so as events are imported – they are matched by keyword to the category as defined in Events Aggregator…

Is that something that be configured?

I notice the “Preview” of an import – exposes catagorise – but it looks as if it dumps everything in single category?

Many Thanks in Advanced
    Michelle

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for reaching out!

That would be an awesome feature. Unfortunately the Facebook API is limiting us here and it doesn’t provide us the tags of the events. So this is not possible until Facebook starts providing tags through the API.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Cheers,
    Andras

Michelle Laverick
    Participant

Yes, it would be awesome wouldn’t it 🙂

I’m surprised that FB aren’t exposing that attribute in their API. I’m guessing its because they are thinking their own search engine/index would be the only use-case – and in away we would be hijacking the field for our own purposes. I imagine it it was exposed – a comma separated list would allow the events to be added to more than one category…

It’s a shame that FB doesn’t have an opened “any other info field”…

Perhaps there’s a work around until such time the as API become more completed. For instance we could make it a rule that IF the description contained at the end Adults; Paid; that these would pattern matched to the categorises as defined in the plug-in. It would be too unsightly in the post itself – and as its just an ASCII string of characters it could be parsed through the event calendar import engine?

What do you think? Would that function as work around?

Best Wishes
    michelle

ps love the plug-in keep up the good work! 😀

Andras
    Keymaster

Yeah, if there was a set pattern at the end of the string, then it might be possible to use that as categories, though then string-matching needs to be done do get the category IDs, which can be resource intensive.

Thanks for the kind words, I’ll pass it on to the team. It always raises our spirits. 🙂

Cheers,
    Andras

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Link Facebook "Keywords" to Event Aggregator "Categorises"’ is closed to new replies.