Large SEO bug in 3.2 – Event title not showing up in the page's title tag

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Large SEO bug in 3.2 – Event title not showing up in the page's title tag

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Participant

After upgrading to 3.2, all of the events no longer show their title in the title element for the page.

I thought this might be related to Yoast SEO, so I disabled it. The same problem exists, where the element of the page only shows the blog name, not the name of the event post. Once again, it is easy to see the issue on your own demo site. I’ve also testing on a blank site with only WP 3.7.1 and TEC loaded, with the same problem.

Go to this page: http://wpshindig.com/event/wordcamp-kenya/
    This is the title element: (title)”WP Shindig!(/title). Notice that the event title is missing.

It appears that 3.2 hosed wp_title() for events? My site doesn’t use anything fancy for showing the title in the header. Simply a straight call to wp_title(), which obviously no longer works for event posts.

This is a disastrous bug for SEO purposes, as obviously the title element is one of the most important parts of a SERP. It is super disappointing that something so obvious wasn’t tested before your maintenance release.

jebs38
    Participant

Kevin,

I just found the same issue and I did a rollback to the 3.1. That fixed my page title errors, but now I have some wacky recurring event errors that show the same event on one page multiple times.

John

Kevin
    Participant

I ended up rolling back to 3.1 as well. It was seriously messing with our Google search results. I didn’t come across the recurring event errors, but that might be because I don’t have and current recurring events setup 🙂

Hopefully tri.be can come up with a fix relatively soon.

jebs38
    Participant

Here, Here Kevin!

My recurring events issue was only on recurring events that were ending this weekend. Weird.

John

siggiboy81
    Participant

I have the same problem! My title tags are destroyed, so instead of showing Events name followed by blog name, all I can see is the blog name… with event name nowhere to be found. Hope this can be fixed soon, because it sure aint a positive SEO thing!

memeco
    Participant

Yep, same error for me… :/

Kelly
    Participant

Hi, folks. Thank you for your error reports. We’re checking them out, and will be back in touch when there’s more info to share.

Thanks so much for your patience!

Rob

Hi everyone. As Kelly noted: this is absolutely a significant issue for us, and we’re looking to provide a workaround or release a hotfix as needed – our lead developer is looking into the matter and we’ll have a reply when we’ve got something substantive to report. We appreciate everyone’s patience so far.

jebs38
    Participant

Thanks for checking in Kelly and Rob!

Jason
    Participant

Having this same error. +1

jebs38
    Participant

Any progress guys?

Kelly
    Participant

Unfortunately, not yet, John. I promise, we’ll let you know as soon as we have something for you! 🙂

I’m sorry to keep you waiting. Thanks for your continued patience!

Barry

Hi all – I wonder if you would each be able to share your System Information per the Events > Help admin screen? It could help us to identify any common patterns that exist on your respective installations.

If you could also drop a note of your hosting environment (we’re particularly interested to know if you might have an account with a provider that transparently provides object caching, for instance) that would be great.

Last but by no means least, can you try adding the following piece of code to your wp-config.php file:

define( 'TRIBE_MODIFY_GLOBAL_TITLE', false );

And let me know if that helps at all (it may not, however).

Thanks as ever for your support and patience.

Jason
    Participant

@Barry – adding the code to wp-config did the trick!
    We’re on MediaTemple GS hosting.

Rob

Thanks for confirming, Jason! Anyone else in here able to verify whether this made for a smoother experience on their end?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • The topic ‘Large SEO bug in 3.2 – Event title not showing up in the page's title tag’ is closed to new replies.