Large multisite solution

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Large multisite solution

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Joi

Hi Modern Tribe,

We are a Swedish web agency looking for the best calendar solution for a multisite network we are building for a client.

The website will be a giant WordPress multisite for a big Swedish nonprofit organization with more than 500 sites in it.
    The client has a few demands we need to meet, most of them are met by using your Pro plugin.
    Rest of the demands are as follows:

1. Filter calendar views by event categories.
    We are aware of the Filter Bar product but it looks a bit too hardcoded.
    Does the calendar perhaps provide javascript methods/events to allow themes to extend or build it’s own filter functionality for example?

2. Subscribe to all events or category-filtered results.

We plan on using Event Aggregator for automatic sync/import of events from external sources. On the products page for the Event Aggregator it states that the service is only “for up to 10 sites.”, what would be a solution for us with 500+ subsites that allows for different external source for each subsite but is also cost effective since it’s a nonprofit organization.

Like I said, be aware that this is to be used by a large nonprofit organization.
    Please contact us via [email protected] for further discussions if possible.

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello Joi,

Thanks for reaching out to us and considering our plugins.

I’d be happy to answer your questions.

1. Filter calendar views by event categories.

This should be possible. I can imagine 2 ways to do this.

1. Every category has its url, which has the following structure:

http://domain.com/events/category/{category-slug}/

If you want month view, then it would look like this:

http://domain.com/events/category/{category-slug}/month

2. You can use the [tribe_events] shortcode which allows you to filter categories. You can find more detailed information on the shortcode in this article.

using Event Aggregator […] what would be a solution for us with 500+ subsites

Please give me some time to check what can be done. I’ll get back to you early next week on this.

In the meantime let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
    Andras

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Joi,

I’m trying to get info for the “industrial” import you are trying to pull. 🙂 Please hang in there.

As for filter bar I just remembered this article which also might be helpful.

Creating Custom Filters for Filterbar

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
    Andras

Andras
    Keymaster

And meanwhile I even got an answer.

This knowledgebase article gives you a detailed explanation.

The important parts:

“All licenses covers a number of unique domain activations specified by their type, and your daily import limit is shared across all activations for a given key. (A “domain” is defined here as a unique top-level domain or subdomain. yoursite.com and sub.yoursite.com would appear as 2 domain activations to Event Aggregator, while yoursite.com and yoursite.com/sub would occupy just 1 activation slot.)”

So if you are running the multisite with sub-directory structure, then you can do that with one license. You only need to be mindful of your daily import limit. For that we offer packages of 100, 300 or 1000 imports per day.

“If your Event Aggregator license provides up to 100 scheduled imports per day and allows for up to 10 total domain activations, this means that you can schedule and run up to 100 import tasks of any size in any way across 1-10 domains.”

Let me know if that answers your question, and if you have any followup questions.

Cheers,
    Andras

Joi
    1. Regarding the category filtering of the calendar, we would like to filter the calendar events without leaving the view or reloading the page. Meaning we would like the ability to filter events with AJAX, that’s why we asked about possible javascript methods/events.
    2. Did you see our second question; “Subscribe to all events or category-filtered results.”
    3. About the Aggregator license, is it possible to find a custom solution for a multisite? Since our client is a nonprofit organization they do not have the budget to pay $4,450 per year, and it will be very difficult to maintain all the licenses (50+).
    Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Joi,

1. Filter bar utilizes ajax, so the page is not reloaded when a filter is changed, only the calendar content is refreshed.

2. I did. Initially I thought it is connected with the last paragraph about EA. Now I realized it’s most probably a separate question. In this case I need to ask for some clarification to know what exactly you mean by “Subscribe to all events or category-filtered results”. Do you want rss feeds or emails to the users or … ? Please give me as many details as possible.

3. I will need to check that with the EA product group. Please hang in there.

Cheers,
    Andras

Joi
    1. We are aware that the Filter bar utilizes AJAX but what we’re after is a way to build custom filters that can refresh the contents of a calendar view, without the need of the Filter bar product.
    2. We need to provide a way to subscribe to/sync events from a category to another calendar.<br>
      We are aware of the following text:<br>
      “It’s important to note that there is major difference between exporting events from your website calendar and syncing events to another calendar.”<br>
      But even though, syncing to another calendar works if you use the URL to the .ics file and input it into another calendar. But the .ics file only export ALL events, there are no way to filter the events exported by a category.
    Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Joi,

1. Since it is doable with Filter Bar it should be doable with an advanced customization as well. Events are a custom post type and are stored in wp_posts and wp_postmeta tables.

2. Doing this with ics files will most probably not work. You can try developing a custom solution utilizing the REST API which is supported by our core plugin The Events Calendar.

Or if you are syncing / importing from a TEC based calendar into another TEC based one, then you can use Event Aggregator’s “Other URL” import source and feed it the url of a category of events, like this:

https://domain.com/events/category/{category-slug}/

3. We should be able to accommodate this with an Event Hub license, which you can get on the Event Aggregator product page. (And now there’s this Black Friday thing going on… 😉 )

Let me know if there is anything else.

Cheers,
    Andras

Joi
    1. It should be, but there’s no documentation for this?
    2. I did test this on a local development site and it does work. I subscribed to the .ics URL in my calendar.app, then created an event and it showed up automatically in my calendar.app. So how come you deny this in the documentation?
    3. “should” doesn’t really cut it for us, we would need to be certain that the Event Hub license would support the whole multisite with over 500 sites with their own top-level domain or subdomains to be able to suggest that as a solution.
    Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Joi,

1. Apart from what I shared with you above, we don’t have a documentation on how to do ajax calls on posts or custom post types. If you can give me more details on what you would need exactly then I might be able to point you in the right direction.

2. If you tested it and it works, that’s awesome. Can you please share with me a url to the documentation you are referring to? I’d like to get it reviewed internally.

3. I can confirm that the Event Hub license will support the whole multi-site.

Cheers,
    Andras

Joi
    1. Understood.
    2. Here Exporting events it states that “It’s important to note that there is major difference between exporting events from your website calendar and syncing events to another calendar.”.
    Andras
    Keymaster

Thanks, I will get that checked.

If you decide to go for the Event Hub license let me know so we can set it up to work for you.

Also, if you should have any further questions, let me know.

I will set the topic to pending fix so it doesn’t get auto-closed in case you need more time.

Cheers,
    Andras

Joi

Thank you, that would be great.
    We will probably need some time to go back to our customer and let them decide.

Andras
    Keymaster

Awesome! I’ll be here.

A.

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Joi,

Just wanted to check if you have made any progress in this and if I can be of any help.

Cheers,
    Andras

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘Large multisite solution’ is closed to new replies.