Issues with time resetting during event edits, and events appearing out of order

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Issues with time resetting during event edits, and events appearing out of order

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ecomadmin
    Participant

Barry asked me to open another ticket for this, so I am doing so. He had been replying to my ticket called “Changing a Featured Image for Single Event formerly in a recurring series” but I can no longer reply there.

The “test” site I had set up for that other ticket at http://www.ringlrangl.com/events shows several glitches with your Events Calendar Pro.

There is the issue noted in the other ticket listed above. That is a major problem with recurring events.

The others are that when editing events via EDIT all, they often reset from the set event times to other times, even though the time is not being edited. For instance, I changed many of the events at the test site above merely to replace the featured image, and did not edit time, and yet the events reset to start AND end times of 9pm.

In addition, I reported in the other ticket that events were appearing out of order…an event for May 19 appeared before May 18 in the photo view. In editing the other events, this issue has gone away, but it had been appearing on multiple pages and events.

This is getting a little bit frustrating and tedious to have to do such a large amount of work troubleshooting your plugin, especially one that is billed as PRO and a paid edition. I have spent many hours doing so already, and could spend many more today trying to figure out why the things above occurred, but I don’t have the time to do so.

Hopefully, you can provide fixes for these soon. I cannot do any more troubleshooting of this…as I have invested too much time already…but I have provided a gigantic amount of detail in the other ticket and this one so you can resolve it.

I don’t care to have this shared publicly at this time.

Barry

I can definitely appreciate your frustration and we’ll help as best we can 🙂

Please do note though that the idea behind asking you to open a new thread was to avoid confusion that can arise when dealing with multiple issues in a single thread. When we worked on the other issue you subsequently mentioned a problem with photo view and I asked you to break that out into a new thread – and we’ll deal with that here. For anything else though, such as the edit all/time change scenario you described, you should continue to create new threads.

In addition, I reported in the other ticket that events were appearing out of order…an event for May 19 appeared before May 18 in the photo view. In editing the other events, this issue has gone away, but it had been appearing on multiple pages and events.

So it’s important to note that photo view doesn’t lay out events in a fixed grid of rows and columns. Instead, it arranges events in such a way as to make best use of space and this is deliberate. For that reason you might see an arrangement like this:

1111111   2222222   3333333
    1111111             3333333
    1111111   4444444   3333333
    1111111   4444444   3333333
    1111111   4444444
    1111111   4444444   5555555
    1111111   4444444   5555555
    1111111             5555555
              6666666   5555555
    7777777   6666666   5555555
    7777777   6666666   5555555
    ...       ...       ...

Note that the 7th event might appear to start before the 6th event, despite being chronologically later, depending on how you interpret that sort of layout. That is, however, intentional and simply the nature of photo view.

Does that match what you are (or were) experiencing – or is the problem notably different?

ecomadmin
    Participant

If I understand you correctly, you are stating that photo view does not display events in a fixed grid of rows and columns, so items may APPEAR out of date order. We, however, made all of our images the exact same size, so when we first created the photo view, the items were indeed appearing on rows…next to each other…because the size of each event was identical (with the rare exception that an event title took two lines instead of one).

That is why, when I opened this ticket originally as part of the other one, I noted that you should count down THREE from the top on the left side and three from the top on the right side, and see that the event for May 18 was appearing three down on the left side, and the event for May 17 was three down on the right side. In other words, it was not due to a displacement or visual display issue, but the later event was showing first.

That issue is not occuring now but that is only because we have since changed the events and it went away. I wish I had a screenshot to show you, but I will need to wait for it to occur again.

The photo view SHOULD be offered in a fixed grid system…or an OPTION to turn something like one on…meaning if we want to have each event on photo view the same height, we can trigger it to do so…causing an appearance of a consistent row.

Craig

Barry

Hi Craig:

The photo view SHOULD be offered in a fixed grid system…or an OPTION to turn something like one on…meaning if we want to have each event on photo view the same height, we can trigger it to do so…causing an appearance of a consistent row.

We’re definitely receptive to your suggestions – but if you want to see a change here please do post your request on our UserVoice page (or if you find someone else has already created a suitable request you can simply upvote it).

It’s a shame we can no longer see a live example but if you feel there’s a clear cut case where this system is misbehaving definitely do grab a screenshot and ideally let us know so we can see it “live” at the same point in time and we’ll look into it (if of course it’s simply a result of the behaviour described in my last reply there may not be too much for us to do – and posting a feature request would be the best course of action).

I’m sorry we didn’t have an opportunity to do so previously, but definitely keeping to one issue per thread is the way to do this and better enables us as a team to process concurrent support requests.

Thanks again 🙂

ecomadmin
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

OK, I can broadly understand your train of thought here it would be better yet if I could see the live example: can you share a password for that event? Right now it seems to be password protected.

ecomadmin
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

OK – I appreciate this may be fairly fluid as the events will change as time goes by, but right now it seems to me to look just as it should and there is nothing that isn’t really explained by my previous post about photo view and how it lays things out.

I definitely do see that the last two “rows” are ordered something like this:

may17may17  may17may17  may18may18
    17may17may
                may18may18  may19may19
    may20may20  18may18may  19may18may
    20may20may  may18may18  may19may19

So that final “row” may seem to run in an unusual order with May 20 being followed by May 18 – but again, that’s to be expected given the difference in height of those entries (as this view isn’t strictly ordered left to right, top to bottom). I’m afraid merely fixing the post thumb size as you described isn’t a guarantee that each entry will share the same dimensions, since the excerpt and title lengths can vary as you pointed out.

I hope that explains things and please don’t hesitate to leave a feature request if you feel strongly that a more rigid layout is desirable.

I don’t think there’s too much more we can do here in the short term, though, and will go ahead and close this thread.

Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Issues with time resetting during event edits, and events appearing out of order’ is closed to new replies.