Is upgrade from The Event Calendar to The Event Calendar Pro seemless?

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Is upgrade from The Event Calendar to The Event Calendar Pro seemless?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Calvin

I thought this would be a common question, but scanning this forum I can’t find an answer… maybe I am asking the question the wrong way?

Anyway, if I have already set up The Event Calendar, and I now want to upgrade to The Event Calendar Pro, is that process pretty automatic? Or, will I loose all of the data I currently have on the site and have to re-enter under Pro?

Rob

Hey there Calvin. Thanks for the note here, and apologies that we’ve taken some time to get you a response…still working through the backlog of threads previously monitored by a team member who is no longer with us.

Given how the code base is set-up, it actually isn’t so much an upgrade as it is an extension. You won’t turn off The Events Calendar to boot up PRO; you’ll just install a second plugin, the PRO add-on, that you’ll activate on top of the free The Events Calendar. So long as you’re up-to-date with the current The Events Calendar release when you buy/update to PRO (the two need to have consistent version numbers; problems will arise if they’re out of sync) the process should be seamless. All of your events should remain in-tact as well.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, do let me know and I’ll get you a response as needed.

Calvin deRuyter
    Participant

Just a note for anyone else wondering about this question. The answer by Rob was correct, HOWEVER, there is one big big proviso. Although all of the events remained intact, with Pro you get the ability to store Organizer and Venue information. When I switched to Pro, those fields created a separate Organizer and Venue for every entry, even if it was exactly the same as another Organizer/Venue. So, if you have 50 entries with “xxx y” as the Organizer and 25 entries with “xxx church” as a venue, then you will have 25 venues with the same info and 50 organizer entries with the same info. If you go and remove 49 of the organizers and 24 of the venues (so that you have one of each, which you would want), the entries that the “extras” were attached too were then devoid of ANY orgnizer or venue… which then meant going into every entry and reclicking on the correct venue/organizer.

Not sure that is all clear… but it is not quite as seemless as one would hope… in that venues and organizers with the exact same name and spelling should cancel themselves out until only one remains — or it would certainly have been nice! SMILE

Leah

Hey Calvin,

That is definitely not as seamless as one would hope! I repeated your steps and had the same result. What you experienced is not the intended behavior, I believe that’s actually a bug in the process. I’m sorry you had to make all those manual changes!

I don’t have an exact timetable, but we’ll definitely try to get this corrected as soon as possible, hopefully in the next release. Thanks for your thorough explanation so we could identify this issue!

Cheers,
    Leah

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Is upgrade from The Event Calendar to The Event Calendar Pro seemless?’ is closed to new replies.