Is there a way to make end date/ end time optional?

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Is there a way to make end date/ end time optional?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    snyderwagon
    Participant

Hello, I searched end date and end time and couldn’t find this topic, but I’m posting a lot of concerts and music events, and they don’t really have a specific end time. Is there a way to make it so that the end date/time is optional? And if nothing is selected for an end time, it doesn’t show up.

Barry

You can definitely stop the end date from displaying. In the first instance, please check out:

* Our themer’s guide
    * This handy tutorial on template overrides

The basic idea, within your custom list.php template and anywhere else you want to make this change, would be to remove code that calls the tribe_get_end_date() function.

Does that help?

snyderwagon
    Participant

Not exactly…. So I am also using Community Events. Say a user wants to enter a concert, and it starts at 8:30 p.m., but you never really know when these things end. I want the end date on the Add Event form to be optional, right now it is required. (Then ideally if an end date is entered, an end date shows up on the list. If nothing is entered, nothing is displayed). You could forsee the same issue with something like a sports tourney.

I am getting ready to publicize the site heavily next week, and I don’t want folks to *not* enter an event because they aren’t sure what to put. Or worse, email me and ask. LOL

Barry

OK, so let’s move this across to the Community Events forum in the first instance and we’ll look at the problem there.

Barry

All events in The Events Calendar require a start and end time, so the approach you probably want to follow here is something like this:

* Add a checkbox to let the user indicate if they want to provide an end time or not
    * If they do, expose the normal end date/time fields
    * If they do not, set that to the same time (+1hr, possibly) as the start time and perhaps upon save add a piece of meta data to serve as a flag for those events that explicitly have no end time

You could then use that meta data to decide if an end time should be shown or not.

It’s beyond the scope of support to walk you through this customization but hopefully that at least outlines one possible strategy you could follow. I’d definitely encourage you to post this as a feature request however as other users can then show their support, which is a great way for us to gauge demand:

https://tribe.uservoice.com/forums/195723-feature-ideas

Thanks!

snyderwagon
    Participant

Great thanks for the fast reply, I will put this as a feature request. I wasn’t sure if there was a simple line like required=yes somewhere in there.

Barry

I’m afraid there’s likely to be a little more work involved than that, but sure – put the feature request in and one of the team will assess it in due course.

And if you do create a custom workaround in the meantime we’d certainly be happy to learn about it if you wished to share it with the community 🙂

Cheers,

Barry

birchmere
    Participant

Honestly I have the exact same issue and I would assume many others do too, we are also a concert venue and concerts rarely if ever have a set ending time. I don’t really need an end time to be optional so I will try commenting out the get end date function but hopefully this will be looked at at some point. snyderwagon please let me know if you get anywhere else with this. Thanks 🙂

Dave

birchmere
    Participant

Not finding this in any of the templates:

The basic idea, within your custom list.php template and anywhere else you want to make this change, would be to remove code that calls the tribe_get_end_date() function.

birchmere
    Participant

The only date reference I’ve found so far in 3.0 is tribe_events_event_schedule_details, no idea where it gets those from

Barry

Hi birchmere,

Not finding this in any of the templates:

This thread was created in late June (before 3.0 was released) and was originally in the Events Calendar PRO forum – it didn’t seem initially to relate to Community Events and was only moved across here when snyderwagon clarified the problem (just to explain why you won’t have much success with that original piece of advice).

We are in the process of building up more tutorials and other resources to help guide people through customizations – something more ambitious like not requiring an end date (or leaving it explicitly open ended for some but not all events) is more tricky and right now I’m afraid we can’t help with that. Definitely do add your support to the idea by posting on our UserVoice page:

https://tribe.uservoice.com/forums/195723-feature-ideas

You can either endorse an existing suggestion (if for instance snyderwagon already added a request for this) or create a new one if your use-case is notably different/if snyderwagon didn’t get around to posting his request.

Thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Is there a way to make end date/ end time optional?’ is closed to new replies.