Invalid Post Type – Bulk edit post tags

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Invalid Post Type – Bulk edit post tags

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    wfsec28
    Participant

Hi Support,

I’m noticing something interesting when I try to bulk edit tags for a regular post (not an event, venue, etc.). I get an error that says “invalid post type”. I’ve turned off all my other plugins one by one and the problem persists only when my calendar plugin is activated. Has anyone else been complaining of this?

Could this be a conflict with WordPress’s core? Thanks for the help!

Barry

Hi @wfsec28,

I’m sorry you’ve hit up against difficulties.

Unfortunately I cannot replicate this. Is there anything you can think of that I would need to do beyond selecting two or more posts, using the bulk edit facility and applying some new tags?

Can you also confirm if in addition to deactivating other plugins, you tried switching to a default, unmodified theme like Twenty Fifteen (and did that make any difference if so)?

Let me know!

wfsec28
    Participant

Hi Barry,

Sorry for the delay. Please stand by…

Barry

No problem, @wfsec28 – just post an update when you’re ready.

wfsec28
    Participant

Hi Barry,

I was able to test the theme. I defaulted back to Twenty Fifteen and the issue persisted. I also (just to see) defaulted back to Twenty Fourteen and the error still occurred.

I can’t think of any other test for you to do try. All I do is go into my posts, check a couple of them, edit, type the tag in, save, and I get to an error screen that says “invalid post type.” I’ve deactivated each and every plugin one at a time and tested the bulk edit each time. The issue only stopped when I deactivated the calendar plugin 🙁

Thoughts?

Barry

Well, it’s definitely possible I’m missing something here.

For most of the team we’re now at the end of the working day so please bear with us a little longer – and I’ll see if another team member has any further success in replicating this tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime 🙂

Barry

Hi again @wfsec28,

A colleague looked at your description of the problem with fresh eyes but was also unable to replicate.

Sadly, though I’d love to help further, there isn’t going to be much else we can do at this time unless we begin to receive further reports from other users of the same issue and identify the pattern.

That said, I’ll leave this topic open a little longer in case we (or you!) can think of anything else.

wfsec28
    Participant

Do you already have login information so you can go to our website and see the issue? Or would you like me to PM that information to you so you can?

Barry

I’m afraid our policy is not to accept login credentials. Here’s a couple of other things we might try:

• Can you create a fresh WordPress installation – whether locally or in a subdirectory in the same hosting environment – install only The Events Calendar and nothing else to begin with, create some test data and replicate there?
    • If you have a hosting account with a different provider, or if you are familiar with the process of running test sites locally (if not, no problem – I just wanted to float the idea) can you try the same there, in case some peculiarity of your hosting environment is triggering this?

Thanks!

wfsec28
    Participant

I will try those suggestions. Please stand by.

wfsec28
    Participant

I just tried suggestion number one and discovered something interesting: So the tag in questions has a “#” in it. We’ll call it “#tag”. While the calendar plugin was activated I was able to successfully bulk edit posts with a random tag (other than #tag). However as soon as I tried to bulk edit any posts with #tag, it failed.

Even when I edited the “#tag”, removed the hashtag and changed it to something like “tag2” (without any #), but the issue still persisted.

So I think the issue actually has something to do with the hashtag in relation to the plugin. My suggestion to work around this issue is to temporarily disable “The Events Calendar” and make the bulk edit to all the posts with #tag. Then delete #tag and reactivate the calendar plugin. For some reason I can only bulk edit #tag with the plugin disabled.

Thoughts?

Barry

Hi @wfesc28,

I tried a few combinations here:

• I added the tag #hashtag to a set of events and bulk edited only those events – there was no problem
    • I then repeated the above, but also included untagged events in the set I was bulk editing – again, I didn’t hit a problem here
    • Last but not least, I bulk edited a bunch of untagged events and applied a tag containing the # character – it seemed to work

Is there anything else about this you can tell me – are there any other characters in the tags that might be of interest or can you use a service/app such as Jing to record what you are experiencing?

Are any other plugins or is a none default theme in place when you do this?

wfsec28
    Participant

Hi Barry,

These actually aren’t event tags, but post tags that I’m having the issue with. I’m associating it with the plugin because it’s only when I deactivate it that my bulk edit (for post tags) becomes functional again. Could you test by adding #hashtag to a post and then try to edit those posts in a bulk edit (while the plugin is running)? That’s only only difference to what I see you’re doing and I’m doing…

This still happens with a default theme, and when only the Events plugin running.

Barry

You’re right that in my last post I tested on events rather than ordinary posts – but I did just have another colleague try to replicate independently while I repeated the process using tags with the # symbol while bulk editing posts (with The Events Calendar activated).

I tried various combinations – ensuring some tags were first assigned to events and others not – but simply could not replicate (nor could my colleague).

I’d love to get a handle on this, but I’m afraid it’s proving hard for any of us to see the problem – nor to the best of my knowledge have other customers reported this problem.

wfsec28
    Participant

I understand and thank you for looking into this issue. I think for now I’ll try my idea of temporarily disabling the plugin, making the necessary changes, and then just moving on from there. If there is any new data that I can pass along, I will certainly do that.

Again, thank you!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Invalid Post Type – Bulk edit post tags’ is closed to new replies.