Integrating posts and events

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Integrating posts and events

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Participant

My blog has a daily post of a “local thing to do.” Sometimes that posts is ongoing, like a restaurant or a park. Other times it is a one-time or multi-day event. I want to use Event Calendar to track those events and provide a calendar interface, but I do not want to duplicate content on multiple pages from an SEO perspective.

Any suggestions on how to handle? I’ve seen other WP calendars where you tag the post with a certain tag, like “event” and enter some additional metadata to put it in the calendar, but it looks like Event Calendar is different with custom post types for events.

Rob

Hi Kevin. Thanks for the note here. Interestingly enough, what you’re aiming to do here was how the free open source Events Calendar worked up until the 2.0 release…events were just regular posts that you categorized as “Events,” then added the custom event details accordingly. In 2.0 we switched events to a custom post type.

While what you’re aiming to do isn’t available right out of the box, we’ve had a number of requests from open source users who want to integrate their events with posts. I’ve got our dev taking a look now at what code we’ll need to use to make that happen, and will share that with you just as soon as I have it. Should be no later than the end of the week.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Kevin
    Participant

Any updates here? Would love to find some way to make this work. About half of the posts in my blog loop are events, and the other half are not. I don’t want to affect the flow of posts and don’t want two destination pages for the same event hitting Google.

Also, I already have a couple of post taxonomies in use. For example, one taxonomy is for neighborhoods. I tag the neighborhood for both event and non-event posts related to that neighborhood. I don’t want a separate event taxonomy, as I use this to pull posts into other neighborhood-related pages. As you have it now, the event taxonomy is specific to events and independent of the other post taxonomies that I have.

Mary
    Participant

I have the same request. One of the reasons that I used the free open source Events Calendar was because it would pop the event back up to the top of my blog posts on the day of the event. That feature is what made me pick Event Calendar over other plug ins.

Frequently I’m on the road when my event occurs and this saved me from posting reminders while traveling.

Please bring it back.

Rob

Hi Kevin & Mary. We do have more on this; Shane posted an update on how to make it happen late last week. You can check that out here: https://theeventscalendar.com/show-your-events-in-the-main-post-loop/. We probably won’t be reverting back from the custom post type approach on an official basis but this solution should work for those interested in taking an alternate route.

Let me know if this doesn’t help or if you folks have any other questions.

Mary
    Participant

Thanks, Rob. I’m having problems getting that link to work, unfortunately.

Rob

Sorry Mary – what’s happening when you click the link? Weird, it’s working fine on my end.

Kevin
    Participant

Rob, I get a 404 on my end.

Rob

Hmm. That’s odd. Only other suggestion I’d have is http://www.tri.be/show-your-events-in-the-main-post-loop/ — that time I added the www. Any luck?

Mary
    Participant

Alas, still a 404. Maybe it’s a permissions issue on the post itself?

Rob

How about now? It had been re-unpublished somehow 🙂 My bad.

Mary
    Participant

Hurrah! I can see the post now.

As a workaround, this will tide me over, but I do hope that you can bring back the ability to have the post reappear on the day of the event. That was incredibly useful.

Kevin
    Participant

The start of a solution, but this introduces other challenges. I have a variety of archive pages, so I’m going to have to futz with this to see if events can appear in all of the loops I’m using, which is quite a few.

All of my posts and page have meta data associated with them. Specifically, I always craft a custom meta description, and post image/image title for SEO purposes. As a custom post type, none of that additional meta data is available.

Suggestions for how to add back in? I’m guessing that many people will want their events to be able to use custom meta data from plugins like Yoast SEO, Headspace, or theme-included SEO metadata from the more sophisticated themes.

Rob

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Kevin: I’d be interested in hearing whether your playing around with the system got it into the archive pages, since others may have a similar question. There are probably SEO plugins that could accomplish your meta data request…have you looked into that? Plugins like http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/all-in-one-seo-pack/ come to mind.

There may be ways to make this events-as-posts integration easier down the road, but realistically we probably won’t be moving back to the events-as-posts structure since a lot of the development we’re doing, both related to ECP and the add-ons that will come to extend it, are relying on this custom post type approach. However I’d be happy to provide support to whatever extent you guys need as you keep working with the PRO plugin here.

Mary
    Participant

I understand that you won’t be moving back to the events-as-posts structure, but the feature that highlighted the event on the day of the event was a really great thing.

Please, please work on bringing that back. It set you apart for authors like me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Integrating posts and events’ is closed to new replies.