Import made duplicate events

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Import made duplicate events

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Donna
    Participant

Hi-

I recently just reinstalled the iCal importer as the plugin had disabled itself due to a file error. Reinstalled 1.4.2.

After this, I manually ran a recurring import as the front-end was not showing events farther out than 6 months. (Is this a limitation?)

My actual problem is that now all the events seem to be duplicated with a copy that is 4 hours earlier. Probably a time zone issue.

Would appreciate any help.

Donna
    Participant

This reply is private.

designoneweb
    Participant

Same problem. It appears that it is a problem in iCal Importer v. 4.1.2

To test theory, back back up of current sit. Switched to TwentySixteen theme. Deactivated all plugins except Events Calendar related. Imported events from iCal. Still wrong times. Deleted all events. Cleaned up database (cleared all transients, etc) and re-imported iCal. STILL wrong time. Deleted iCal Importer 4.1.2; downloaded and reinstalled iCal Importer 4.1.1; EVENT TIMES ARE NOW CORRECT

Donna
    Participant

Thanks for chiming in.

Is there a quick way to delete all the events? We have 1600…

Also, I’ve never had to “clean up the database” before. Can I use something like the Better Delete Revisions plugin? How did you do this step?

Donna
    Participant

Nevermind- found the Event Rocket plugin and cleared everything out.

Downgraded to 4.1.1, setup the import again, and now I have duplicates of everything at the correct time….

designoneweb
    Participant

Reading through the forum threads, I’m not sure some of the duplicate event problems will ever be resolved for imported iCal calendars. My client’s duplicates are created when an event on their Office 365 calendar is moved to a new day. Upon import into The Events Calendar, the new date is added as a duplicate event and the old date is not deleted.

It also appears that this problem mainly arises on hosting platforms that have a strong caching program. I recommend WP Engine for most of my clients and their cache cannot be turned off.

Have you made sure that the “Overwrite Recurring” box was checked in your import settings? That may help and shouldn’t hurt.

Donna
    Participant

I think I actually made the duplicates by doing a manual import and then a recurring import. I removed them all again.

Now, I’m getting “Your search returned no results. Please adjust your search.” even though I’m using the exact same URL as before. This is getting frustrating…

designoneweb
    Participant

Who is your host and do you have a backup copy of your site (from a few days ago) that you could revert to?

Cliff

designoneweb, thanks for assisting here. If it’s okay with you, we’ll take it from here. If you need support with this issue too, please create your own new thread.

Donna, I input your URL and imported only the “Stephen Ministry Meeting” event.

Specific to that event, I do not believe it imported accurately. I will run it past one of our developers to double-check.

Once we get the events to import accurately, then we can address if importing duplicates.

Regarding duplicates, though, are you setting that URL up as a recurring import and that’s where the duplicates are being created?

Cliff

Donna, I researched your iCal URL file more thoroughly and discovered your .ics file has “Eastern Standard Time” as the time zone. However, that’s not a valid time zone. An example of a valid time zone is “America/Los_Angeles”

Additionally, your calendar URL does not validate.

Therefore, please fix your iCal file and try to import. Hopefully that will resolve your issue. Please let me know.

Donna
    Participant

The duplicate issue was being caused by the v4.1.2 plugin somehow. I downgraded (at designoneweb’s suggestion) and that particular problem was fixed. I would say you all have a bug there that needs fixing.

Our iCal comes from Office 365, so I’m not really sure how to go about getting that fixed. Suggestions?

Donna
    Participant

Contacted Office 365 support, and they were not helpful…

designoneweb
    Participant

Donna, like you our client (a REALTORS Association) also uses the calendar in Office 365 as their primary calendar. While the settings for Office 365 do say “Eastern Time,” it also shows at UTC -05:00. Digging into the the .ics file also shows that the file itself provides the timezone definitions in relation to UTC. Setting the timezone to a UTC-only relationship in the US is not feasible unless the underlying calendar takes in consideration Daylight Savings time. During a portion of the year, those of us on the East coast are UTC -05:00 and during a portion of the year we are UTC -04:00.

I do not know what timezone rules were changed in the underlying code of v. 4.1.2, but they obviously broke whatever had been working for those of us who use the plugin in the US and also use Office 365. Our client will not stop using Office 365, and Microsoft is highly unlikely to change their coding.

Cliff

I have filed this as a bug for v4.1.x — we confirmed the format from other Office 365 iCal URLs and we know importing from O365 is very important to our users.

I’ll mark this ticket as Pending Fix, which means this thread should receive a reply once the applicable fix has been released. I cannot guarantee when it will be fixed as it’s in the development team’s hands now. They need to assign it, code it, test it, and schedule it for release. I apologize for this issue and appreciate your understanding and patience.

designoneweb
    Participant

Thank you, Cliff, for continuing to look into this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘Import made duplicate events’ is closed to new replies.