Import CSV file

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Import CSV file

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Cindy
    Participant

Hello,

A few days ago I purchased Events Calendar Pro and the Filters bar. I now need to import in around 250 events from another calendar plugin I was using.

I have exported that data to Excel. When I was asking pre-sales questions about this I was given a link to a video. I have searched in the forum for my chat but can’t find it. Nor can I find my answers when doing general searching. Perhaps not searching correctly? What I need is:

1. An Excel templates for importing. I do remember from video that I have to import 3 files.
    2. How many categories and sub- categories can I drill down to? I am coming from a plugin that allowed multiple calendars so I need to be using a parent category for each calendar and then 2-3 child categories per parent.
    3. Do I need to setup Categories before I import my events from other plugin? How will know how I want them created if they just come over from the CSV file?

Hope to complete this over the weekend so will be standing by with bated breath awaiting your reply. 🙂
    Hope you are having a most awesome Friday!

Kind regards,

Cindy Belz

Cindy
    Participant

Ok…So I found some CSV info once I finished installing the plugin so I hope I’m good to go with question 1.

I now have another question:

4. I purchased the filter add on via the website but do not see it in WP. I see where I can purchase it via calendar Pro in my setup, but I have already purchased it, so how do I manage this?

Thanks,

Cindy

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi

Glad you found the CSV importer article. For future reference the article is here:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/using-the-events-calendars-csv-importer/

Filter Bar
    To activate the filter bar please download it from your account here on theeventscalendar.com

Then upload and active it on your site.

We have more detail steps outlined here:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/new-user-primer-filter-bar/

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks

Cindy
    Participant

ok…. so I found answer to question 4 and have installed that plugin. I went into the filter bar setup section, but I don’t see how to have do child categories. I.E. Category 1: Mind/Body/Spirit ; child 1 – Release techniques; Child 2 – would be type of release technique.

Also still not clear how this will match up when I import the 250 plus events. I have a column that list the Categories. Some events have multiple categories. I.E. Type of calendar like Mind/body/spirit and then it is broken down further by:
    Parent : Event type : child 1 – Webinar; child 2 – Free

Next I have categories that tell what will be covered at event. I.E. Release techniques, meditation, etc… If it is a conference with multiple speakers there can be multiple topics covered. This means that on some of my events in CSV there can be 10 or so categories in that column.

Thanks for the help,

Cindy

Cindy
    Participant

Hi Brian,

Just saw your email right after I sent my last one.

I had already read the New User Primer on Filter Bar and it does not answer questions 2 and 3 from my first posting or explain how to import in and setup all of the categories that I need. I go into more details on those needs in my other notes to you today.

Sorry for the multiple postings!

Thanks,
    Cindy

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi,

Oh ok I got lost with all the posts on what was still outstanding.

The csv importer cannot create sub event categories, but it can accept sub event categories.

It will create new parent categories.

So the best way to achieve this is create your event categories first with the sub categories.

Then add the event category names to Event Category column of the csv.

You can add multiple categories per event. So if you have the Categories Toast and Lettuce and you want an event to have both those categories on import the csv field would look like this:

Toast,Lettuce

That would be the same if Lettuce was a sub category of Toast.

I would recommend doing a couple test imports first to get it all working how you would like.

Cheers!

Cindy
    Participant

Thanks for all of your help with this Brian. I’m good to go and now have a good feel for doing this. Happy Friday!

Brian
    Keymaster

Great glad it helps.

I am going to close this ticket, but if you need anything else related to this topic or another please post a new topic on the forum and we can help you out.

Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Import CSV file’ is closed to new replies.