Import Contains Tags

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Import Contains Tags

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

I import from another site that also uses The Events Calendar. This import is applying tags which are not relevant to my site. How do I stop this from happening? Thank you.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reaching out here as well!

Can you provide the URL that you are importing that is applying tags?  What format are you importing it in?

Let me know if anything else comes up in the meantime!

Thanks,

Jaime

Michael
    Participant

Hi Jaime,

Here is the URL: https://ntxissa.org/events/?ical=1. The format is iCalendar.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for providing me with that URL.  Where are you seeing the tags applied?  Can you provide me with a screenshot of what you are seeing?  This is what I see on the single event page after I import the event from that URL:

Let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime!

Thanks,

Jaime

Michael
    Participant

‘Monthly Chapter Meetings’ is selected when imported, as well as one or two others. The strange thing is that I don’t recall ever creating this tag.

Hi Michael,

Okay, I see what you are referring to now.  Thank you for the screenshot.  I see that this category is imported with your events.  Are you the only one with access to this calendar, or is it a public calendar?

I clicked on the event website, and that category is also included there.  Was this intentional?  Either way, that may be where the category is coming from.

https://ntxissa.org/event/ntxissa-january-2018-monthly-meeting/

In any event, you can delete that category or uncheck the category once the event has been imported.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Jaime

Michael
    Participant

It is a public calendar. I know I can uncheck the category locally, but that requires an extra step that I sometimes forget. And I would humbly suggest that it’s probably not a good idea for an unauthenticated source to be able to create categories.

Hi Michael,

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding, but if this is a public calendar, then others can check the category.  That is the reason why that category is being included when you import the calendar.  As I mentioned previously, you can uncheck the category or delete the category once the calendar is imported, but it doesn’t seem like there is a whole lot that you can do to stop others from selecting that category on the public calendar.

Please let me know if I’m missing something here, and if you have any other questions for me!

Thanks,

Jaime

Michael
    Participant

Hi Jaime,

I’m not proposing that they change the category; I am suggesting that my installation should not create a category from an import of an unauthenticated public calendar. And, yes, I can uncheck it, but it shouldn’t be happening in the first place. What happens if they create a hundred categories, or a thousand? What is the function behind category creation? What else could they execute on my site?

Hi Michael,

I understand your predicament, as well as your frustration with the issue.  When importing from a public calendar, you will get what comes with the public calendar, and unfortunately there’s nothing that we can do to help there.

You do have a few options:

• You can create a new private calendar with the events you want to import and import from there.
    • You can set a default category for your events when they are imported so that everything is in one place.
    • You can set your imports to Draft and review them, remove the unwanted categories, and then publish them.
    • You can import this calendar to CSV first, and then have more control over the fields that are imported (https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/csv-files-options-and-examples/)

I hope these suggestions help, let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

Jaime

Michael
    Participant

I understand my options, thank you. I will simply close by asking that you carefully consider the possibilities for malicious action with this plugin, as well as reconsider making it a bit more customer friendly.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your feedback.

You can also add your ideas to our Feature Requests, as we tend to implement ideas based on customer feedback, so your input is greatly appreciated:

https://tribe.uservoice.com/forums/195723-feature-ideas

Did you have any additional questions before I close out this thread?

Thanks,

Jaime

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Import Contains Tags’ is closed to new replies.