Import causes change in privacy settings in EventBrite

Home Forums Ticket Products Eventbrite Tickets Import causes change in privacy settings in EventBrite

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jon
    Participant

As soon as an event is imported into our wordpress site, some setting with eventbrite that I didn’t even know existed gets put into place where that event gets set to Private, so you can only buy tickets if you have a password! That is TERRIBLE! So now if we want to show an event on our website, we have to import it, then go back to EventBrite, and change the settings back.

I cleared my cache, deactivated all my plugins and reverted to the twenty fifteen theme and no change at all. Problem persists.

(posted as separate issue from my original post here: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/lots-of-issues-with-importing-from-eventbrite/)

Barry

Hi Jessie,

I’m sorry to hear you are hitting up against difficulties.

This shouldn’t happen and I’m not aware of many other reports along these lines from other users – nor can I replicate the same problem – and so it does tend to suggest that the issue is, for some reason, local to your site.

Our plugin will set the post status to either publish (if the event is “live” on eventbrite.com) or draft (if it is not) – no where does it try to set a post status of private, which makes this a little puzzling.

I definitely appreciate you having gone to the trouble of testing for conflicts and it’s puzzling that those steps didn’t uncover anything.

Is it at all possible there are some customizations that were made directly to core plugin code, or that perhaps were applied to your local copy of the Twenty Fifteen theme – or anything else of that nature that you can think of?

Could you share (by private reply, if you prefer) a URL to one of the events on eventbrite.com?

Thanks!

Jon
    Participant

Hi Barry,

thanks for getting back to me. It is not setting the event to private in WordPress – but rather in EventBrite. It only happens to events that we have imported. I have not changed the eventbrite files or the twenty fifteen at all – our theme is totally separate and we are only using twenty fifteen as a tester per your conflict testing instructions.

I can try to create a test event as we are live with eventbrite and don’t want any of our actual events to stay in that ‘private only’ setting for any length of time. what is your suggestion?

Barry

Hi Jessie,

Thanks for clarifying – I did initially misunderstand.

That said, I seem unable to replicate this: if I create a test event and import it nothing changes in respect of the original event’s status as a public event. If I go on to edit the description, again, the event remains publicly visible (on eventbrite.com).

Are there any other steps I’m missing here?

Jon
    Participant

No but the fact that you can’t recreate it doesn’t change the fact that it’s happening to us. How can I show you?

Barry

That is certainly true, I just wanted to stop and check in case some detail had been missed. How about this:

• Can you create two test events, each identical to the other?
    • Import one, update, and confirm the same problem repeats itself
    • Provide the URL of both so I can test with the other

If we both test in otherwise clean environments and experience different outcomes, that may point us to the source being an account configuration issue or similar.

Jon
    Participant

Ok I created 2 events :

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/copy-of-test-for-website-tickets-17360257999
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/test-for-website-tickets-17345212999

I will import the top one (Copy of test for website)

Should I do this with the beta version 3.10 or should I keep it at the most recent public version?

Barry

Thanks!

Let’s focus on the current stable release for the moment since that’s where you found the problem (and that is still the currently supported version of the plugin).

Barry

…To add, if you want to go ahead and update that first event please just update this topic when you’re done so we can take a look.

Jon
    Participant

Ok so I imported the event. I went back to eventbrite to see what had changed, and everything was ok initially after import. HOWEVER, when I added a sentence into the description in WordPress and clicked Update (in WordPress), and then went back to the event in EventBrite, 3 things had changed: 1) the time (this is open in another thread) 2) The “show # of remaining tickets” checkbox had been checked when it was NOT previous to the post being updated in WP. and 3) the Settings on the event had set the event to Password Protected (on the Manage screen for the event – see screenshots)

BEFORE Event imported and updated in WP (public) – http://www.handhugs.com/slims-2015/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Screen-Shot-2015-06-12-at-5.26.02-PM.png

AFTER event was imported and updated in WP (password protected) -http://www.handhugs.com/slims-2015/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Screen-Shot-2015-06-12-at-5.27.24-PM.png

That is the issue that we are dealing with in this thread, so I will leave the other screenshots out.

Barry

Jessie,

Thanks first of all for taking the time to detail the problem with screenshots, that was very helpful and I’m sorry it took so long to get a grasp on the issue.

At any rate, I can now replicate the problem and this is of course something we’re going to have to fix up as soon as possible. I’ll update you again shortly.

Barry

Hi again Jessie,

Something interesting I notice is that while the event shows as “Password Protected” in the management screen, it is still showing as “Public” in the edit screen – no password is actually set and nor does the event become inaccessible to browsing customers.

While there still seems to be a problem, I’m curious if you’re experiencing the same or something other than this?

Thanks!

Jon
    Participant

Yes I am experiencing the same weird thing. It shows as public in the edit screen, but in the manage screen, it says “Password Protected” . This is still happening with the 3.10 release.

Barry

Hi Jessie – we’ve got this logged and will address it as quickly as we can.

Barry

I’m going to close this for the time being, but of course we’ll do our best to re-open and post an update as soon as we can.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Import causes change in privacy settings in EventBrite’ is closed to new replies.