image uploads inconsistently working

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events image uploads inconsistently working

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    thecolumbian
    Participant

I noticed recently that there’s a lot of images pulling 404’s in our calendar from user-submitted events. I am even seeing broken image references in the Media section of the WP backend. Some of these images appear to have been low resolution files (I’m currently looking at one with dimensions 504 × 274 px), and my PHP settings look like my upload ceilings are set high, so I don’t think the issue is a maximum upload size being hit. I have uploaded large images and it seems to save the images fine. Any ideas of why these images don’t seem to be saving properly?

Sky
    Keymaster

Hi Brandon,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having issues with event images. I will try to help figure out the problem.

I just ran a test in my local environment, and was able to upload an image with a community event submission successfully.

Is this happening consistently? Can you reproduce it yourself when submitting an event in an incognito browser window? Do you have anonymous submissions enabled, or do the users need to be logged in?

Also, can you provide a screenshot of what you mean by “broken image references” in the media library?

Thanks,
    Sky

thecolumbian
    Participant

It is happening commonly. If I pull up an example page, it might show most or it might show half of user’s images they’ve attempted to upload and the others will throw 404 errors.

The “Allow anonymous submissions” option is unchecked.

Attached is a screenshot of my media library (the first page of it). Every image you see missing there is a 404 (as shown in the Chrome Inspector). Notice how intermittent the image files seem to be successfully saving.

I tried creating a new even with a 1 MB image and it saved fine. When I edited the event and tried to remove it and saved, it did not get rid of the image and some of my other changes also didn’t save.

Sky
    Keymaster

Brandon,

I see. Thanks for providing the screenshot.

Can I ask about a plugin I see listed in your system information? The plugin “The Events Calendar: Frontend Submission”: is this something you are still using? Does it somehow affect the event submission process? What happens if you disable this plugin? Are user submitted photos working then?

Thanks,
    Sky

thecolumbian
    Participant

That was an old plugin that must have been used be the original developer that’s not be used anymore. I don’t personally know anything about it, but I have disabled it. I was under the impression that it was already disabled so I apologize (occasionally I get my dev site setups confused). Maybe now I give the site the weekend or so to see if this results in anything?

Sky
    Keymaster

Hi again,

So it was enabled? The reason I asked is that going to the link for that plugin takes me to a malware site. I tried to find out more information about it or the company that released it and came up with nothing. It is not one of our plugins, and I would recommend completely removing it if you don’t know anything about it.

Anyway, let me know if that changes anything.

Thanks,
    Sky

thecolumbian
    Participant

It was previously enabled; I have deleted that plugin. If you go that plugin developer’s site, it gives me a page trying to sell me a car, so obviously that developer has fallen through. I couldn’t tell you the history behind the use of it because I wasn’t the original web developer who built the site, but it’s gone now. Thanks for the tip.

It does look like I’m still unfortunately experiencing the same error with image uploads, though. I do see an event from a user this morning who tried to upload a photo while creating a new event but that photo doesn’t exist on the server.

Sky
    Keymaster

Hello,

Ok, thanks for letting me know.

Do you have a staging site? I would like to see what the result of trying to upload an image with a user submitted event would be when using the default Twenty Seventeen theme and with all other plugins deactivated.

If you do not have a staging site, you can use the WP Staging plugin to quickly generate one for testing.

If the images are still not saving correctly in that environment, you could enable WP_DEBUG and WP_DEBUG_LOG, then go through the steps of creating an event with an image. A log file should be generated in your wp-content folder, and may show errors related to the problem. You can find out more about enabling these at https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

Thanks,
    Sky

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘image uploads inconsistently working’ is closed to new replies.