iCal importer assign category, venue, organizer

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator iCal importer assign category, venue, organizer

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Denise
    Participant

I purchased the ical importer and am trying to import an ical calendar from all-in-one-events-calendar.

This is an event I created in the events calendar interface.
    http://i-cweb.com/community-calendar/event/south-haven-in-stories-and-song/

I have imported a few events using the ical importer. This is an event I imported –
    http://i-cweb.com/community-calendar/event/kids-cabaret-talent-share/

This is the calendar I am importing from –

Calendar

This is the ical link I am using to import from –

Foundry Hall

I change the category IDs to get different category events and can filter using keywords. I assume the way to import into specific categories is to use keyword filters and create a number of recurring imports, correct?

When I import, the images stay on the original site and are accessed from that site. They will not show up in the list view or pop up.

Can I import to venues? To organizers using ical importer? If so, how? I do not get Google maps on imported events.

Thanks for your help,
    Denise

Geoff B.

Good evening Denise and welcome to the Events Calendar Support forum!

Thank you for reaching out to us.
    I would love to help you with this topic.

I change the category IDs to get different category events and can filter using keywords. I assume the way to import into specific categories is to use keyword filters and create a number of recurring imports, correct?

Based on what you are telling me, if I understand correctly, what you are trying to do is to assign your events to the right category as you are importing.

What is not clear to me is if you are doing so as a one-time import or as if you want to sync for a recurring import.

If you are doing a one-time import:

1. You are right, if you want to assign your events straight to the correct categories as you are importing, your best bet is to have as many imports as there are keywords you want to use
    2. As an alternative, you can simply import all events without assigning them to a category and tackle the category assignment after the import. This can be accomplished easily via our own https://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-post-manager/ which adds nice filtering abilities to displaying your events (for bulk changes for example).

If you are doing a scheduled import:

1. Your only option is to have as many imports as there are keywords you want to use using method 1 from above.

Additionally, if there was a way for you to have .ics files that already filtered by category, that would really simplify the process 🙂

When I import, the images stay on the original site and are accessed from that site. They will not show up in the list view or pop up.

Unfortunately, images are not support in the iCal import process. iCal feeds themselves do not include file attachments that can be used to import from one source to another. You would need to add images after import in order for imported events to have images.

Sorry for the confusion! Does this help answer your question? Please let me know.

As a side note, we are currently working on improving our import abilities. It is slightly too soon to announce anything, but stay tuned!

Can I import to venues? To organizers using ical importer? If so, how?

The iCal importer in it’s current state does a good basic job, but does not allow you to import taxonomies such as Organizers or Venues.

Based on your needs so far, it looks like you might prefer using our CSV importer that allows complete control over mapping as well as the ability to import Organizers and Venues.

You could use an iCal to CSV converter (none are guaranteed but we’ve heard of some, e.g. https://www.gcal2excel.com) and then use our free CSV import functionality.

I do not get Google maps on imported events.

That’s a separate issue. Normally, that should work.

Can you tell if you have Enable Google Maps on imported events checked in Events -> Import ?

Let me know if that helps.

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘iCal importer assign category, venue, organizer’ is closed to new replies.