iCal download – Multiple calendars in Outlook

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO iCal download – Multiple calendars in Outlook

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jeffrey
    Participant

Hello,

We have an issue with iCal export but with each download a new calendar is created in Outlook instead of updating the main one.

Are you aware of this issue? Is there a fix?

Cliff

Hi Jeffrey. Thanks for your question.

If you export (e.g. example.com/events/2016-03/?ical=1&tribe_display=month), it’ll generate an .ics file with a random name. If you go to export the next month’s events via iCal, it’ll be a different random .ics filename.

How Outlook, Mac Calendar, or Google Calendar read, store, and interpret re-importing the same exact .ics file is up to each application. However, if you import March 2016’s .ics file and then import April 2016’s .ics file, those might be more likely to be interpreted as a new/separate calendar, since they are unique filenames.

I know in Mac Calendar, it prompts me which calendar I should import an .ics file as (e.g. existing calendar or new calendar). I’m uncertain if/how you might be able to make Outlook operate similarly.

I hope this satisfies your question. Please let me know. 🙂

Denise
    Participant

We experience the same issue. Is there an option to just have users get 1 “Calendar” file for 1 event, and NOT the entire calendar?

Cliff

Hi William. At the bottom of each event, there are event-specific export buttons: http://cl.ly/33330A0F3t2d

If you need additional help with that topic, please open a new thread.

Thank you.

jeffrey
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cliff

Hi Jeffrey. Look what I found: The Events Calendar Outlook Import Fix

Maybe it’ll work for you? (third party, untested, not guaranteed by us)

And a technical reference for your question: the tribe_ical_feed_calname filter at https://github.com/moderntribe/the-events-calendar/blob/4.0.6/src/Tribe/iCal.php#L339

I hope this helps!

Jonathan Hatch
    Participant

So, are we thinking that we will be adding this to a fix list for later? Enough of our clients use Outlook that this has become a consistent problem.

Brook
    Participant

Howdy stpaulme,

We have a ticket to see if anything has changed recently. But last time we looked into this we could either be compatible with Outlook and incompatible with everything else including Macs and all smartphones, or we could be compatible with Outlook. We had to choose the larger market. But as soon as that changes and we can be compatible with both we’d love to craft a solution.

• Brook
    Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘iCal download – Multiple calendars in Outlook’ is closed to new replies.