how to use The Event Calendar AJAX features with varnish

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO how to use The Event Calendar AJAX features with varnish

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Participant

We are running The Event Calendar on a fairly high traffic site (~2M page views/month)

The site uses fairly extensive Varnish caching. Normal page views hit Varnish, but the calendar pages views are hitting Apache directly via admin-ajax and skipping the cache altogether. We are having perf issues with admin-ajax and are trying to deflect only the hits needed at Apache.

Do you have advice on how to make Event Calendar AJAX calls play well with a cache?

Brook
    Participant

Howdy findwell,

Unfortunately I do not believe there is going to be an easy way to do this. Our ajax calls set post data for their uniqeu responses, so there is not a unique URL for a caching plugin to cache like there would be if the calls used URL encoded queries that were accessed via $_GET. You could try your hand at modifying the plugin ajax calls to use URL parameters instead, but that is going to have to be a direct modification to the plugin I think.

You might also try making this a feature request. I am not sure that it is even going to be possible to do and still maintain all of our current features, especially without a significant rewrite of the plugin. However, we do have numerous large customers like yourself. It could be a feature that many people want, and thus one we would consider implementing. The only way to know is to recommend it and see how many vote their support.

Does that make sense? Will that work for you? Please let me know. Cheers!

– Brook

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘how to use The Event Calendar AJAX features with varnish’ is closed to new replies.