How to search by country?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO How to search by country?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    persyst
    Participant

I have an August event that I’ve posted on my site that is located in Belem, Brazil. Here’s the link.
    http://cypherspot.com/event/red-bull-bc-one-latin-america-final-livestream/

It does not show up on the event map, and the only way I am able to find it on the map is by searching specifically for Location: “Belem, Brazil”.

Two Questions:
    1) Why is the event not showing up on the map by default along with the other events?
    2) Is it possible to search for events by just typing in a country, or does it always have to be a city?

Casey D

Hello persyst,

1) The ‘Map View’ map is set my lat/lon, as opposed to the other maps which are set by address. If it isn’t showing up on the Map View map, it means it doesn’t have a lat/lon registered. You can check to see if it has a lat/lon by looking in the DB under the wp_postmeta table, or by using the Event Rocket plugin. If there is no lat/lon, you can try creating one by resaving the venue/event information, or by changing the address slightly and saving. This will trigger the lat/lon converter. (Belém, <abbr title=”Para”>PARA</abbr> Brazil isn’t a ‘real’ address, which is why it isn’t showing up by default… maybe? I’m not sure why it is showing up after search though. I can dig more once you confirm it has lat/lon)

2) There are two search fields: ‘Search’ and ‘Location’. Search is by keyword/content of the event. If you have the words ‘Belem, Brazil’ in the Content, Tax or Title it will will show up when you use ‘search’ (but NOT if it is just in the Venue). If you set a Category (Taxonomy) of Brazil, it should show up in the search then too. Location search is very different, it is based on a geo math radius of the coordinates. The radius is set by setting in your WP-Admin > Event Settings, default is 5 miles I believe. So when you search ‘Brazil’, the plugin does math between two points: the central lat/lon of ‘Brazil’ and a 5 mile radius around that. Since Belem is well outside that circle, it unfortunately doesn’t show up. The location search is really built for local/neighborhood event search.

Does this make sense? Let me know if I can explain anything else!

Cheers!

– Casey Driscoll

persyst
    Participant

Hi Casey,
    Sorry if I was unclear. My questions were only with regards to using the “Locations” input, not the “Search” input.

I verified the lat/lon with Event Rocket. The Little Rock, AR event http://cypherspot.com/event/open-turntables-night/
    already had lat/lon as 34.745416, -92.301265, but still does not show up on the all events map.

The Belem, Brazil event also already had a lat/lon -1.4557549, -48.4901799 associated with it, but also does not show up on the all events map.

Please help. Thanks.

Casey D

Hello persyst,

I missed out an obvious point, sorry.

The map only shows events listed on that page. Your two events aren’t listed on the first page, so they aren’t on the map.

If you go here they are listed on the second page: http://cypherspot.com/events/?tribe_paged=2

You can fix this by increasing the number of events per page in you WP-Admin > Event Settings > General tab. There is also a forum thread that explains how to query for all mapped events, to show all of them even if they are not on the page. That is a very computationally expensive operation though of course, depending on how many events you have.

Does this make sense? Let me know if this doesn’t work for you.

Cheers!

– Casey Driscoll

persyst
    Participant

Ok thanks! Yes bumping up the “events per page” to “20” did what I’m looking for, for now. All the events show up. Thanks, again for the link as well.

Casey D

Hello persyst,

Happy it worked out!

We’d love it if you would leave us a review and let people know how much you like the plugin! http://m.tri.be/jt

I’ll go ahead and close this thread. Let us know if we can help with anything else.

– Casey Driscoll

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘How to search by country?’ is closed to new replies.