How to prevent spam in RSVPs

Home Forums Ticket Products Event Tickets Plus How to prevent spam in RSVPs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I can see that for Community Events you have reCAPTCHA built in, but how should I prevent spammers from RSVP’ing to my events in Event Tickets? There is an option to include my own HTML code. Can that be used to insert reCAPTCHA? Are there any other options? Unfortunately I can’t make RSVP a ‘registered user only’ feature.

Geoff B.

Good evening HVK and welcome to the Events Calendar Support forum!

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I would love to help you with this topic.

Currently, the best built-in way to prevent RSVP spam is to use the Require users to log in before they RSVP option in Events -> Settings -> Tickets

That being said, you can still add reCaptcha to any form. To do that you will have to do a template customization.

My colleague Josh has some great insights on this: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/add-captcha-to-events-with-tickets/#post-1147570

Let me know if that helps.

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

Hi Geoff,

Thanks, that helped a bit, but all of those instructions in your link deal with html pages where inserting stuff into the header is trivial. I found a couple of examples of getting stuff into wp header, and they all seem to be different. I don’t know the wp way of dealing with headers very well. Inserting this to my custom rsvp.php’s php section doesn’t work:

————–
    function recaptcha_header() {
    wp_register_script (‘recaptcha’,’https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api.js’);
    wp_enqueue_script(‘recaptcha’);
    }
    add_action( ‘wp_enqueue_scripts’, ‘recaptcha_header’ );
    ————–

I also don’t want to affect anything else than the RSVP page. What is the correct way? I think I can manage the form part.

Geoff B.

Good evening HVK,

I am sorry my link was not more helpful to you.

Just to set expectations, as you might know, the scope of our support is mostly to get our customers started on the right track and to help them in case of issues.

We unfortunately do not provide complete support for customization.

With that in mind, the function you are using seems like a good starting point.

You can decide to register the script like that, but this typically would be placed in your theme’s functions.php, not rsvp.php

Once that is done, you simply need to customize rsvp.php to echo the captcha loaded from the enqueued script.

You might want to read our Themer’s guide to get a sense of how that works.

Let me know how that goes.

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘How to prevent spam in RSVPs’ is closed to new replies.