How to edit the seo / meta info for the events view?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO How to edit the seo / meta info for the events view?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    morktron
    Participant

Hi, I can’t work out how to edit the url, seo title (browser title) and meta description for the main event page.

To make the page in the first place I put in a manual link in the the WordPress menu to http://www.sitenamehere.com/events/upcoming/ this also work with http://www.sitenamehere.com/events/

In my case this template file uses tribe-events/list/content.php so i made a new WordPress page and a new page template using the contents of that file – but it doesn’t work.

Any ideas about how to do this? thanks

Barry

Hi morktron,

There is no built in means of doing this and you’d really need to craft a solution of your own.

If you are working with an SEO plugin you might find they have some handy filter hooks to do this kind of thing: alternatively if you are doing things yourself you can certainly work with the hooks made available by WordPress itself and for instance filter wp_title then take things from there … your code could detect if it is the main events page by using a combination of our conditional template tags like tribe_is_event_query() and tribe_is_upcoming(), etc.

The main events slug itself (in terms of editing the URL) can be customized via the Events → Settings → General admin screen.

Other than that I’m afraid you’ll have to figure out the rest of the details by yourself – good luck!

morktron
    Participant

Great thanks Barry, I guess I’ll need to pay a developer to help me out with this one. Browser title and meta descriptions are critical for good seo, so it is strange that is is so hard to do such a simple thing for the main calendar page. I hope this will be included in admin soon! – I’ve run out of votes so i can’t suggest it.

I always use the Yoast WordPress SEO plugin, it does usually have a way to edit these things but it doesn’t detect the main calendar page unfortunately.

Oh well! Happy Thanksgiving! 🙂

Barry

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too 🙂

I’ll certainly ensure this idea is logged for consideration.

amplifiedsteve
    Participant

I agree that not building in basic SEO customisation to the default Event page is a MAJOR oversight. But I am a little less forgiving.. I’ve bought Event Calendar PRO and Facebook Events, ‘was’ considering Filter Bar … so you could say I’m now invested in your product. So, I would expect something as basic as customising Title, Description to the Event page meta without having to do any coding. What’s more perplexing is that you ‘can’ use Yoast SEO to edit the Title / Description on the single event – so, why not the Event page??
    So as you are telling us we have figure out how to do this ourselves, I request that you at least put together some sort of step by step tutorial showing us ‘non-coders’ how to add the Title / Description meta to the Event page, and I mean in more detail that the above skimmed reference to Hooks, and WordPress calls and leave us with “Other than that I’m afraid you’ll have to figure out the rest of the details by yourself – good luck!” that would be most helpful.

Thanks.

ps. or better yet, build this in to the next release.

hammer72
    Participant

This should be easy so hope it gets added to the settings section and allow custom SEO (title and description) for the main events page. In the meantime, how about a sticky post ‘How to add metadata to the main event template’ or something?

katecooteltd
    Participant

Had I appreciated the lack of SEO prior to installation and setup, I would have had second thoughts about Events Pro. Big shortfall for an otherwise good product.

thomcoby
    Participant

My website http://theconnect.com seems to do well with Google searching individual events. However, when I do a search for events Santa Cruz, my website is nowhere to be found. I have many, many Santa Cruz events listed, yet a search for events or calendar Santa Cruz does not show up. Little tiny urls that have very few Santa Cruz events show up. A general search for my Tribe calendar for Santa Cruz is not found. Is this related to how the Tribe calendar is setup for SEO? Or, is there something that I am missing? Please let me know what the problem is.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘How to edit the seo / meta info for the events view?’ is closed to new replies.