How to change the Page title for the Events Calendar?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO How to change the Page title for the Events Calendar?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Joerg
    Participant

I have a menu item on my Word Press site that links to:
    http://myhostname.de/?post_type=tribe_events&eventDisplay=month”
    I did not create a dedicated WordPress Page and did not use any Template Tags. It is just the menu with the above URL. When the user clicks the menu item the calendar is displayed. Nevertheless, the German title of the page is “Veranstaltungskalender”. How do I change this title to e.g. “Termine” or any other text?

Rob

Hey Joerg, thanks for the note. You could always modify the language file for your particular install, if you wished to, so that the event calendar title always displayed as “Termine” or whatever you wanted. If the issue is just the slug for the URL, that can be changed under Settings –> The Events Calendar.

Does that help? Let me know if not or if I misinterpreted the request here.

Joerg
    Participant

Hi Rob, Thanks for the prompt reply. So I cannot change the title of the page using the WordPress backend. As a result, this is not trivial and could end up with a PEBKAC for the normal user. Normally I avoid editing source files since I’d lose the changes anyway with the next update. I am not a WordPress developer. After 5min of Google I found out that there are PO, MO and POT files. Then I found out that the MO file is a kind of compiled version of the PO file. Next I downloaded a tool called Poedit, edited the strings in the PO file. I found out that the MO file is automatically regenerated when saving the PO file with the tool. I did the mistake first to edit the PO file of The Events Calendar PRO and then there were no effects on the web site. I then edited the PO file of the non-PRO version of The Events Calendar, updated the files on the server, and voilĂ  it says now “Termine” instead of “Veranstaltungen”.

I am using the plug-in on the web site of our apartment building to organize important dates for the owners of the apartments. In the calendar we have entries like “waste collection” or “owner’s meeting”. That’s why you wouldn’t use the German word “Veranstaltung” (event) but better “Termin” (date). An event in German is rather a happening like a concert or an opening of a store.

Rob

Hey Joerg. You are correct: this is unchangeable on the backend, but you could modify it by changing the core files of the plugin. You are also correct regarding your assessment of how the PO/MO files work.

So are you saying you need to have two different navigation elements? Wouldn’t using categories to sub-divide this better accomplish what you’re going for, with less effort required?

Julien
    Participant

I think that changing the core files of the plugin is not a good idea because we will loose the changes with the next update.

Rob

That’s exactly true. If you do a template override though, which works on a good number of the .php files, it’ll avoid getting overwritten in a future update. We’ve got a template override description in the FAQ if you’re interested in that type of thing.

Julien
    Participant

I would say that changing the languages files are always overwritten. Is there a way to save the changes ?

Rob

Hey Julien. At this point, no – upgrading is unfortunately going to overwrite anything that wasn’t done using the standard template override procedure. However: if you were willing to submit an updated translation file for free/PRO/both to me, I could make sure that was included in the next release so that these translations were the official ones going forward. That way they’d never be overwritten since the files would be in the core code.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘How to change the Page title for the Events Calendar?’ is closed to new replies.