How to add year-long ical feed to Month view

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO How to add year-long ical feed to Month view

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ajay Gilbert
    Participant

Following the post with the code to add a year-long ical feed at https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/can-i-create-a-ical-feed-sync/#post-1024051 I would like to add the ical feed http://example.com/events/?ical=1&year-feed at the base of the month calendar display as an export to ics instead of “+ EXPORT MONTH’S EVENTS” but also to Google Calendar like the single events option. How is this possible?

Ajay Gilbert
    Participant

I see now that there are other Gists to help with this:
    See https://gist.github.com/cliffordp/b0e5ece86040d9838f09 to customize text of iCal Event Export button text
    See https://gist.github.com/cliffordp/0add8931e1c6422a7b4c to override the iCal link to always be this link

However the latter tells me that it technically works but /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/resources/js/tribe-events.min.js?ver=4.0.5 overwrites it!

So my question stands πŸ™‚

Nico

Hi Ajay,

Thanks for reaching out to us and also for doing some research before posting πŸ™‚

You raise an interesting point about the JS override of the link, we are not doing a great job there! But I guess there’s a simpler way around this.

The snippet below just targets the ical export query for month view and modify the parameters, so there’s no need to change the link πŸ™‚

/**
    * Change month ical export time range to a year
    */
    add_action( 'pre_get_posts', 'tribe_custom_month_time_range_ics_export' );
    function tribe_custom_month_time_range_ics_export( WP_Query $query ) {
    if ( ! isset( $_GET['ical'] ) || ! isset( $_GET['tribe_display'] ) || $_GET['tribe_display'] != 'month' ) {
    return;
    }

$query->set( 'eventDisplay' , 'custom' );
    $query->set( 'start_date' , 'now' );
    $query->set( 'end_date' , '+ 365 days' );
    $query->set( 'posts_per_page', -1 );
    }

This should make all month export buttons the same basically, and export all year events.

Please give it a try and let me know if this answers your question or if I’m missing something there,
    Best,
    Nico

Ajay Gilbert
    Participant

Thanks for that chunk of code. However the link still says http://example.com/events/?ical=1&tribe_display=month which is a little confusing πŸ™

What would be perfect would be able to have an Add to Google Calendar button like the single event has – to easily add the year calendar to Google Calendar.

Is it possible for me to add code to below the tribe events footer section to implement this?

Nico

Hey Ajay,

Thanks for following up!

However the link still says http://example.com/events/?ical=1&tribe_display=month which is a little confusing πŸ™

We can look into changing that, I would need to look into it because as you mentioned before there’s some js changing the link after it’s displayed. But I guess we might be able to find a -hope not so hacky- workaround.

What would be perfect would be able to have an Add to Google Calendar button like the single event has – to easily add the year calendar to Google Calendar.

Unfortunately I don’t think that’s possible at all. I did a search because I wasn’t sure about it, but could only find the option to import one event directly to G Cal. If you find an example of how to do this I would like to take a look and see if we can integrate it!

Best,
    Nico

Ajay Gilbert
    Participant

It’s be cool if you could change the link to say it is a year feed but it would be even better if it was prettified with some format like http://www.expample.com/events/ical/year

I’ve discovered working on previous websites that to add an iCal feed to Google Calendar all you need to do is add http://www.google.com/calendar/render?cid= before the iCal link so for the example we are using it would become http://www.google.com/calendar/render?cid=http://example.com/events/?ical=1&tribe_display=month

See http://dev.bowdenweb.com/os/calendar/google-calendar.html for reference

Nico

Thanks for the follow-up Ajay! Interest to know how to import a feed into G Cal, thanks for the info πŸ™‚

Well I changed the approach a bit, take a look at the following code:

/**
    * Change month ical export time range to a year when the query var year is present
    */
    if ( ! isset( $_GET['ical'] ) || ! isset( $_GET['year-feed'] ) || ! isset( $_GET['tribe_display'] ) || $_GET['tribe_display'] != 'month' ) {
    return;
    }

$query->set( 'eventDisplay' , 'custom' );
    $query->set( 'start_date' , 'now' );
    $query->set( 'end_date' , '+ 365 days' );
    }

/**
    * Replace default export options
    */
    if ( class_exists(Tribe__Events__iCal) ) {
    // remove default export button
    remove_filter( 'tribe_events_after_footer', array( 'Tribe__Events__iCal', 'maybe_add_link' ), 10 );
    // add customized export options
    add_filter( 'tribe_events_after_footer', 'custom_maybe_add_link' );
    }

function custom_maybe_add_link() {
    global $wp_query;
    $show_ical = apply_filters( 'tribe_events_list_show_ical_link', true );

if ( ! $show_ical ) {
    return;
    }
    if ( tribe_is_month() && ! tribe_events_month_has_events() ) {
    return;
    }
    if ( is_single() || ! have_posts() ) {
    return;
    }

$tec = Tribe__Events__Main::instance();

$view = $tec->displaying;
    if ( defined( 'DOING_AJAX' ) && DOING_AJAX && isset( $wp_query->query_vars['eventDisplay'] ) ) {
    $view = $wp_query->query_vars['eventDisplay'];
    }

echo '+ Export all year events';
    echo '+ Add all year events to Google Calendar';
    }

Please note I’m intentionally removing the tribe-events-ical class from the links in order for the URL to be skipper by the JS link filter. This will have a little effect on the element styling you can surely solve with some CSS.

To give the feed a custom URL is something you can achieve by adding a 301 redirect to the site or by creating the rewrite rules for it. I guess that would be a bit out of scope as the default options doesn’t have such permalink either.

Please give the code a try and let me know about it,
    Best,
    Nico

Ajay Gilbert
    Participant

Thanks for the code. There was a small typo and I’ve added the css to make it look pretty. However it only shows the calendar up until the 4 June although from 25 April.

The feed doesn’t seem to take any notice of the year-feed argument.

/**
    * Change month ical export time range to a year when the query var year is present
    */
        if ( ! isset( $_GET['ical'] ) ||  ! isset( $_GET['year-feed'] ) || ! isset( $_GET['tribe_display'] ) || $_GET['tribe_display'] != 'month' ) {
            return;
        }

$query->set( 'eventDisplay'  , 'custom' );
        $query->set( 'start_date'    , 'now' );
        $query->set( 'end_date'      , '+ 365 days' );
    }

/**
    */
        remove_filter( 'tribe_events_after_footer', array( 'Tribe__Events__iCal', 'maybe_add_link' ), 10 );
    }

global $wp_query;

if ( ! $show_ical ) {
            return;
        }
            return;
        }
            return;
        }

if ( defined( 'DOING_AJAX' ) && DOING_AJAX && isset( $wp_query->query_vars['eventDisplay'] ) ) {
        }

echo '<a style="float:right;" class="tribe-events-button" title="Export to iCal" href="' . esc_url( site_url('whats-on/?ical=1&year-feed') ) . '">+ Export to iCal</a><br />';
        echo '<a style="float:right;" class="tribe-events-button" title="Add to Google Calendar" href="//www.google.com/calendar/render?cid=' . esc_url( site_url('whats-on/?ical=1&year-feed')  ) . '">+ Add to Google Calendar</a>';
    }
    Nico

Thanks for following up Ajay!

Can you link mt to the site where I can see this ?

Also, you are using whats-on slug, I guess it’s the configured slug for events. Can you change the feed URL in the buttons to site_url('whats-on/?ical=1&year-feed=1'). I tested this locally and it was working like a charm so not sure what’s up!

Also can you confirm that modified buttons/links are showing up instead of the default ones?

Thanks,
    Nico

Ajay Gilbert
    Participant

This reply is private.

Nico

This reply is private.

Ajay Gilbert
    Participant

Tried the new code you sent privately which I tweaked to make the links look prettier and it appears to work now – although the Google Calendar seems to have cached the old version so it’s only a month long, but the .ics file shows everything up to a year ahead now. Thanks.

/**
    */
        if ( ! isset( $_GET['ical'] ) ||  ! isset( $_GET['year-feed'] ) ) {
            return;
        }

$query->set( 'eventDisplay'  , 'custom' );
        $query->set( 'start_date'    , 'now' );
        $query->set( 'end_date'      , '+ 365 days' );
    }

/**
    */
    }

global $wp_query;

if ( ! $show_ical ) {
            return;
        }
            return;
        }
            return;
        }

}

echo '<a style="float:right;" class="tribe-events-button" title="Export to iCal" href="' . esc_url( site_url('whats-on/?ical=1&year-feed=1') ) . '">+ Export to iCal</a><br />';
        echo '<a style="float:right;" class="tribe-events-button" title="Add to Google Calendar" href="//www.google.com/calendar/render?cid=' . esc_url( site_url('whats-on/?ical=1&year-feed=1')  ) . '" target="_blank">+ Add to Google Calendar</a>';
    }
    Nico

Glad to hear this is working now! Thanks for sharing the final code Ajay πŸ™‚

I’ll go ahead and close out this thread, but if you need help with anything else please don’t hesitate to create a new one and we will be happy to assist you.

Best,
    Nico

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘How to add year-long ical feed to Month view’ is closed to new replies.