How many events is too many events

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO How many events is too many events

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    slny311
    Participant

Currently we have a little under 500 events in the db, we can barely save or edit posts without the system timing out. Ive deactivated all other plugins, optimized the DB(WP-Optimize) and the same problems are existing.

Rob

Hey Steven, thanks for the note here. While I don’t have a one-size-fits-all answer to give you here, the issue as we’ve found it relates to too many events happening on single days, and viewing that in grid view slowing down the nav from one month to a next. That seems related to the AJAX loading itself and is in the works to be fixed for 2.1.

What you’re saving here sounds like it definitely could be an issue, but makes it broader than what we thought previously. Do you have a lot of events set to display per page, either on the backend or the frontend? And – is it possibly a server issue, ie does the same thing happen with a wealth of regular posts?

Let me know and I’ll do what I can to troubleshoot. Having more information on this should also help us diagnose the issue so we can get it resolved quicker. Apologies for the inconvenience in the interim though.

slny311
    Participant

It does take awhile to view the calendar view using the month switcher. The site is using quick cache so the front end flys.
    Thats ok for now, but the fact that the backend is almost unusable is major problem.
    You think by removing old events would help the backend?

slny311
    Participant

Each day has between 5-7 events, its a inde movie theatre… i store the movie times in the excerpt. cinemaartscentre.org.

Rob

Hey Steven. I can see the concern there; if you wanted to delete past events that may help, but I’m wondering if something else is at play here since we haven’t gotten reports of the backend issues nearly as serious as what you’re noting here. Now that I look at your site it doesn’t seem like you have an excessive amount of events to the extent that it’d be causing that big a problem.

You’ve tried checking against conflicts with other plugins, right?

slny311
    Participant

Yeah i shut off all the plugins, logged out and it seemed to fix it at first then started to slow down again to the point where i couldn’t add an event without timeout. Maybe the table that the events are stored is just too much?

Rob

That is possible. Do you have any other sites where you’re running the plugin, to see if it behaves the same way there? No chance this could be something related to your host?

slny311
    Participant

Rob, So far so good… in case anyone else has similar issues.
    Deactivated all plugins again, instead of deactivating one by one, i just did them all and slowly rebuilt the 10 or so plugins i was using. I narrowed it down to two, quick-cache(the enemy) and sharethis(slowed it down a little bit) I installed Digg Digg for social sharing and super cache. So far so good, 500+ events and its pretty quick.

Rob

Ah, that is excellent to hear Steven. Great to hear you’ve made progress on this. Hopefully other users who come down the road with this same issue will find this of value.

Let me know if we can do anything else on our end. Thanks again for the confirmation.

Meghan

The events page on my site http://www.nova.joytroupe.com is taking nearly 30 seconds to load. Firebug tells me that “GET events/upcoming” is taking 25 of those seconds. I do have A LOT of events posted. My admin panel says 8,335 events published. (Does that include past events? I can’t tell.) Obviously I’ve invested a lot of time in building up this database of events and I just want it to work properly.

Meghan

Oh, I forgot to add that I shut off all the other plugins and it sped up my overall page load by a few seconds, but “GET events/upcoming” still took 25 seconds, so it’s not a conflict.

Rob

Hey there Meghan. Thanks for the note here; we are aware that there are some load time issues with the current plugin that we’re working to address. We should have some progress on that in 2.0.7 (which comes out hopefully today), so let us know how performance is upon updating…the bulk of the speed tweaks will be in 2.1, which we’re shifting focus to today now that 2.0.7 is out.

Hope that helps! If you have other questions or if we can do anything else, please let me know. Thanks again for your support so far.

Meghan

Ok, this is a little weird, but I thought I’d pass it on in case any one else is having my same issue. (or in case it leads you to a “real” fix.) I just installed the CalPress free plugin and now this plugin runs like the wind. The menu item disappeared off my backend, but my page loads in under 5 seconds. I can still add tribe events from the top menu bar. I haven’t had a chance to explore much beyond that.

Rob

Nice! Thanks for confirming, Meghan – this is good to know and should be of value to other users facing your same problem down the road. We appreciate you sharing and please let us know if we can do anything else.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘How many events is too many events’ is closed to new replies.