How do new users register?

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events How do new users register?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Craig

I have only just done the upgrade to the community plugin and look forward to working with it a lot. But I am wondering how a new public user actually creates an account. I can’t seem to see the UI for that. If WP User registration in is not part of the formset in “community” then can you sugest a preferred or recommended plugin for the signup part of the process. Free or paid, either way is fine.

Michelle
    Participant

Hi, I’m also wondering how to add a ‘register’ option to the community form. I’d prefer to have this all in the one place in the community form rather than have users create and identity from the WP login first.
    Thanks,
    Michelle

Rob

Hi there Craig and Michelle. Thanks for the notes here. The registration aspect is controlled by your overall WordPress install and whether it has registration enabled that way. If so, users can register as they would normally.

That being said…finding a way to tie it specifically to the Community form is a solid idea. If we can make it work that’d be a killer value add. No guarantees on whether it’s doable or when it’ll make the cut but as there aren’t many issues in the hopper for Community at the moment I don’t expect it’ll be too long before a dev gets me some thoughts on it that I can share with you.

Thanks for your patience and support so far. Please let me know what else I can do down the road.

Craig

Hey Rob.
    Just want to be sure we are on the same page with this. I totally get that users are registered with WP-User. But I dont want them in the backend. A person unfamiliar with wordpress is going to be put off when confronted with that. I was hoping for something more along the lines of what you have on this site when signing up. Everything is on the front end. There are some plugins available that do this. Most of them putting the signup in the sidebar etc. Is that the type of recommendation that you have at this point? If it is, that is ok. But I just want know if that is the direction that I should be following.
    Thanks
    Craig.

Craig

OK. So I ended up buying a plugin called “frontend membership control” for $40.00. It is complex but more practical then trying to mod php code. Walking through the setup at the moment and it feels like a good option for creating user account controls on the frontend.

Rob

Hey Craig. Thanks for the follow-up; I understand what you’re saying here. It does look like you’ve found a solution (I hadn’t heard about that plugin until now but it looks legit). However if you ended up not using that…couldn’t you just create the users as subscribers? That way they’ll never have to visit the backend (and even if they do they won’t see anything), but will still be registered on the site.

That’s the simple method I was envisioning, anyway. But it looks like the route you’ve taken is more robust/flexible…which is always a good thing.

Craig

For post/submission management I’m using the forms that you have provided. They are good forms. I just didn’t like the registration form for wordpress. That is what started me down this road. With this plugin the user can set their own password and I can include a terms page in the process. The look of it all is more consistent with the rest of the site as well.

Michelle
    Participant

Hi Craig – Would you be able to give the URL of your site? I’d be interested in having a look at how this plugin works as I’m looking for a similar solution to yours.

Michelle
    Participant

Also have a question for Rob – my community form seems to has resolved funny with the visual editor floating outside of the borders of the div. http://calendar.theglobalyogi.com/events/members/add/ Is this something you have seen before? I guess I can fix it with the theme CSS but if there is a known fix for this problem it would be better. Thanks.

Craig

Sorry Michelle, I’m testing on a localhost. Not sure how I can share that. But here is the link to the plugin site. http://www.netchillies.com/frontend-membership-controls . I’m also using this plugin for excerpts that is rather cool. http://www.josie.it/wordpress/wordpress-plugin-auto-excerpt-everywhere/ . if you have any questions you cam email me at [email protected] .

Rob

Thanks for confirming as much, Craig, and for the guidance you’ve helped to provide Michelle above.

Michelle, to answer your question: my guess is this is a templating issue, but I can’t see the form at that link you provided. Would you mind going to Settings -> The Events Calendar and trying a different template solution from the dropdown that is provided? The plugin includes 2 of it’s own, and your theme may have a couple others.

If that doesn’t do the trick…please open a new thread and provide a link to the form, so I can get a dev to jump in and try to assist as needed. Thanks in advance!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘How do new users register?’ is closed to new replies.