How do I edit the "calendar of events" page?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO How do I edit the "calendar of events" page?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Adam
    Participant

I was kind of hoping I would get to define the page where the events calendar went. (Like, with a shortcode) Can I at least customize that page a bit? It seems to be a custom post type and I just want to get clued in how to edit that page.

Rob

Hi Adam. Thanks for the note on this. As it stands shortcode embeds are unfortunately not an option; but, you can control how your calendar looks a number of ways. You can add HTML before/after on the Settings page, or if you were looking to get more in-depth could always do a template override (specific details of which are available in the FAQ).

What exactly were you trying to edit on that page? Perhaps I can point you in the right direction.

Adam
    Participant

Here’s the site I’m working on now.
    http://mclanecreative.com/urban/events/

Built using Thesis.

I’m trying to just dress this page up.

In the events calendar pro settings it gives me options to select different templates but only the default theme for thesis and the default events page seem to be working. If I selected “no sidebars” as an option it doesn’t work. I’ve also built a custom template for our events page using thesis, but I can only select it if it’s a page. (I use a meta box to select which custom template to use when “custom template” is selected.)

I don’t know if the template selector is a bug on your site or what? I am just kind of stuck right now. The plugin is otherwise working well and I’m confident that when you release the CSS documentation I’ll be able to clean this up right away.

Adam

Adam – to be clear, when you add other page templates to your theme the events selector is not showing them?

Rob – can you work with john to test that (he may need to help you out – easy enough to do)?

Adam
    Participant

Correct.

Here’s how it’s set on the backend:
    https://skitch.com/mclanecreative/gnxt3/ecp-settings-page

Here’s the frontend: (Shouldn’t have sidebars, same selector used for my static homepage on this site, so I know it works.)
    https://skitch.com/mclanecreative/gnxtr/ecp-upcoming

Again, the recommended way for Thesis is to select “custom template” with the template selector and then build a meta box to actually select the custom template you use. (They do this so that the actual custom template is built into custom_functions.php & custom.css; so the theme is upgrade ready.) I know that’s funky, but I think you’ll have a lot of Thesis users buy this plugin. Here’s a screenshot of how they recommend doing it.

https://skitch.com/mclanecreative/gnxue/thesis-custom-page-template

Thanks. Totally appreciate it.

Rob

Thanks guys. Adam, per Shane’s request I’ve got our developer looking into this over the weekend and should have a substantive response of some form by Monday. Stay tuned and thanks again for your patience.

Beth
    Participant

Did you find anything else about this? I’m running Thesis 1.8 and The Events Calendar PRO and have it set to “no sidebars”, but my sidebar still shows: http://deals.ingoodcents.com/events/month. I’ve found some hacks to fix it, but for some it creates more issues. I’m not so sure I want to mess with my theme and the plugin that much.

When I create a page and select “no sidebars” it does work. It just seems to not work in The Events Calendar.

Thanks!

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Beth, it’s complicated. We currently do not use a page in the traditional sense so this is why you’ll need to hack it a bit to get it to work right with your theme. I’m not sure how your theme’s sidebar setup is done but there is definitely a way to get an events specific sidebar working – it just depends on your setup. You could try creating a custom page template (mirroring your default page.php template) and then calling a specific sidebar in it and assigning that page template as the Events Template in The Events Calendar settings. There’s a few other ways to do it but it’s hard to say how it could work for you or how you want it to work. We do have plans to change the current templating system in the future so there is an actual page created and this will remove headaches like this 🙂

Beth
    Participant

Jonah, the changes in the future will help. I’m a computer minor, so I know just enough to be dangerous. Every time I try to make a custom page template, I just break my site. Thesis works a bit differently than other themes, I’m told.

Rob

Great to hear, Beth. So it sounds like you’re cool waiting until the release in which this gets resolved, right? (Correct me if I’m wrong there). Otherwise feel free to reach out if you need anything else.

Robert

Beth, here’s a bit of code I hacked up tonight to solve this same problem:

add_action('template_redirect', 'events_calendar_template_redirect');

function events_calendar_template_redirect() {
    if(!is_admin()) {
    $event_slugs = array('events', 'event');
    $request = explode('?', $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']);
    $request = explode('/', trim($request[0],'/'));
    if(in_array($request[0], $event_slugs)) {
    add_filter('template_include', function($template) {
    $pathinfo = pathinfo($template);
    if($pathinfo['basename'] == 'no_sidebars.php') {
    add_filter('thesis_show_sidebars', function() {
    return false;
    });
    }
    return $template;
    });
    }
    }
    }

Simply add it to Thesis’ custom_functions.php and customize the line “$event_slugs = array(‘events’, ‘event’);”, so that the array’s contents match the Event URL Slug and Single Event URL Slug that you specified in The Event Calendar’s settings.

Robert

(You may also want to add ‘venue’ to that array.)

Beth
    Participant

Thanks Robert! I’ll try that out when my new design launches.

Rob

Robert: this is awesome. Thanks so much for sharing 🙂

Beth
    Participant

Robert, thank you, but that simply gave me a PHP error and referenced this line:

add_filter(‘template_include’, function($template) {

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘How do I edit the "calendar of events" page?’ is closed to new replies.